Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush. Again. And Croup.

Default Thrush. Again. And Croup.

DD has had thrush for a couple weeks now. We did one round of Nystatin and are halfway through a second. It doesn't seem to be clearing it up at all? And 2 days ago she was diagnosed with Croup. (My poor sick baby!!!) She is absolutely miserable. Should I just finish this round of Nystatin up and if it doesn't go away then ask for Diflucan? Could the croup be keeping her from fighting off the Thrush? Thanks all!

Default Re: Thrush. Again. And Croup.

Ugh. That sucks! I'm sorry. Are you doing probiotics as well as the Nystatin? A lot of moms are finding Nystatin to be not as effective as it should be - yeast is becoming resistant to it. I would double up and also use probiotics (you can get infant probiotics at a natural foods store), and if that doesn't do the trick, definitely get the diflucan. I don't know if the croup can make it worse, but it sure won't make it better, and your baby's immune system is probably not the best, with so many things to fight.

For croup, cool air can really help the barking cough. We did a humidifier with camphor (you can buy Vicks inhalant stuff at the drugstore that goes in the humidifier) at night and that seemed to help as well.

I hope both things clear up soon!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ugh. That sounds awful. I agree with JoMo. I would also recommend getting some GSE to go along with the Nystain therapy. Croup is awful. So sorry.

Details on GSE here. I'd probably get some pills for yourself and get the liquid for laundry, etc. Are you treating your bras to kill the yeast? Are you cleaning anything that touches your baby's mouth? I got a spray bottle with the GSE and made a water mixture to clean my daughter's toys the several times fought thrush.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I have been cleaning her toys and things and boiling things she puts in her mouth more. I've been using a Nystatin cream on myself. My bras not so much. I use breastpads and change them frequently. I should probably do some bleach solution on my bras though huh. I'll definitely get some probiotics and GSE. Thank you!

I would do vinegar and gse on your bras. You also can hang them in the sun. Breastpads can increase thrush - especially the kind with the plastic backing.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I don't know what to do besides breastpads. I have to wear them because I have OALD and am constantly letting down. If I don't wear them I'd end up soaked.

Also, I already have OALD and OS but can Thrush make LD more painful? Because it has been lately.