Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fastest way to up my milk supply!!

Default fastest way to up my milk supply!!

i am a full time nursing student and my LO will be 4mo on christmas eve. we have had to introduce formula while i am in class and strictly BM while i am home. she is having major trouble using the bathroom since formula has been in the picture and her pediatrician has advised a major attempt to cut the formula out, which i have wanted to do since we started her on it. my instructors are much on my pumping while in class from 8 am to 2:30pm but i do come home at 11 for lunch to nurse her. i am currently out of class for 2 weeks for christmas break and am looking for anything possible to increase my milk supply within this time frame. any suggestion!!!
    -thanks emily

Default Re: fastest way to up my milk supply!!

Nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. If you need more milk for while you are in class, you might add in a pumping session in the evening or on the drive to or from work.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

with the PP.

And get a hand pump. It isn't as effective as an electric, but is PERFECT for pumping in the bathroom during those 10 minute breaks between classes. That is what I did last semester. Even if I only pumped for 2 minutes, removing ANY milk is better than removing none.

Nurse, nurse nurse.

How much milk are you pumping and leaving? Are you sure she isn't being overfed? If you are gone from 8 to 2:30 and are nursing at 11, you shouldnt need to leave a lot. Most BF babies need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

It won't be long before you can have your caretaker give some solids while you are in class.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

currently i havent been pumping anything because it seems if i pump while at home then she seems very unsatisfied when she nurses. she nurses very often, for at least 30 mins at a time. she weighs 15.4 # and is now 27'' she gained most of the weight for straight BM. she is very happy and healthy but hopefully with this 2 weeks off we can nurse nurse nurse pump pump and nurse some more. after she nursed just now i pumped 2oz with massaging and compressing with a manual pump. but we are adding in apple and prune juice to help with the BM to get the formula cleaned out of her. so when she has the juice i will pump as if she was nursing.

If she seems I satisfied, nurse more That is the fastest way to get your supply up. And keep switching sides. You will feel like all you are doing is nursing for the next few days to week, but it will rebuild your supply very rapidly.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am a full time student too. I pump on the way to and from school, I have a hands free bra (simple wishes) and a car adapter for my PISA. It works out really well, I just stick the nursing cover on while I am driving to be discreet. Even if its right after I nurse my son, I still get an ounce or so. I also manually express during a ten minute break in one of my longer classes.

Are your professors not supportive? I just approached it as something I was doing, not something I was asking permission to do. I explained to all my teachers that I would make every attempt to be on time to class but sometimes I would be a little late if I had to pump. I am not sure if we have the same rights as someone working, but I think so... Eat lots of oatmeal and drink lots of mother's milk tea! Good luck, my mission is the same during this break but more because of solids reducing my supply!

Also think about safe co-sleeping so LO can get in calories at night, it will up your supply, and you will need to pump less while still being well-rested.

I switched from a single electric/hand pump to a double electric pump on my third day back to work, it made a huge difference in how much I could pump.

MsKalinin, I like your attitude that you approached it as something you were doing rather than asking permission. That's right, this is a medical situation!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?