Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overproduction Questions.

Default Overproduction Questions.

From some research I have done from behaviors I ame xperiencing with my son, I've found that overproduction is a possibility. I can pump as much as 8 oz in 7 or so minutes (in the am. 1st pump of the day).

My son seems to have a lot of the symptoms related to overproduction, except for 1 that I find very important. He does NOT eat more often than expected. He's almost 7 weeks and he is like clockwork every 3 to 3 1/2 hours. he is gaining a good amount of weight, so much so that the Dr said we could feed him a little less in the bottle when I am working.

So my question is, am I really overproducing? I don't want to try to deminish my supply if it isn't overproduction. I am loving not having to spend a ton of time pumping at work... seeing as I have a medical job and the less time spent away from patients the better. My son has an hour or 2 of fussy time a day, usually in the evenings. He's gassy and spits up pretty often but not a ton (Drs are not concerned at all about his spit ups.) And he OCCASIONALLY latches and pulls off and relatches, and occasionally will cry at the breast as well. But we think that is usually when he is tired and not actually hungry because usually when he does this, a pascifier will put him to sleep and he will sleep until his next feeding.

Default Re: Overproduction Questions.

I should add that the later in the day I pump, the les I pump. Just now (1230) I pumped for 10 min and only got about 3.5 oz.

I should also add my son generally only eats 5 minutes on each side. And he always seems satisfied after.

Hmm, how old is your baby? It's really quite normal to have a high pump output in the first few months. Are you pumping instead of nursing (like at work) or is this what you are getting post-feed? IMO oversupply is only a problem when it's causing things like an overactive letdown that is choking your baby, lots of green poop (more than occasional), and excessive fussiness (most babies are fussy in the evenings though). For example, I had all of these issues and had to take my son off while letting milk spray into a towel so he didn't choke. We had to block feed too, because I kept getting plugged ducts and had a bad episode of mastitis. If you're not having any of those problems you may just have a good healthy supply! Nothing to worry about
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

He's 7 weeks today. Those amounts are what I am getting when I am pumping at work, not after a feeding. He does occasionally choke, but not even half the time. he used to a lot more. And his poop isn't green too often, but it is sometimes. It's more of a dark yellow / dijon mustard color. (Amazing the things we talk about as mothers now! LOL) I haven't experienced anything as far as clogged ducts or mastitid, at least not yet. Hopefully I don't!

That all sounds pretty good to me! You've obviously got a great supply, and you may have a fast letdown that your baby occasionally has trouble keeping up with, but that's not necessarily an oversupply. It doesn't sound like it's giving your baby too many problems (some gassiness, fussiness, and spitting up is unavoidable, and what you've described doesn't sound like it's outside the norm) so my suggestion would be to keep doing what you're doing.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I would add don't offer both sides at one feeding. Just one side per feeding and make sure he drains it. That way he is getting all the good hindmilk and not constantly just getting the top layer of both sides. Doing that can lead to OS issues. Its a common misconception that baby needs a certain amount of time on each breast at each feeding. Are you unlatching him from one to put him on the other or are you letting him drain the first side before you offer the second? As long as he is draining one side before you offer the other then its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    I would add don't offer both sides at one feeding. Just one side per feeding and make sure he drains it. That way he is getting all the good hindmilk and not constantly just getting the top layer of both sides. Doing that can lead to OS issues. Its a common misconception that baby needs a certain amount of time on each breast at each feeding. Are you unlatching him from one to put him on the other or are you letting him drain the first side before you offer the second? As long as he is draining one side before you offer the other then its fine.
    I've never known how to tell when 1 breast is 'drained'... but I do let him go one one side until he seems done with it, and then I burp him and give him the other side. That time on the first breast can be anywhere between 5 minutes and 15 minutes, depending on how he is suckling.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bonzaii View Post
    I've never known how to tell when 1 breast is 'drained'... but I do let him go one one side until he seems done with it, and then I burp him and give him the other side. That time on the first breast can be anywhere between 5 minutes and 15 minutes, depending on how he is suckling.
    As Karen said, I don't know that it sounds like you have EXTREME oversupply. Rather, you sound like you have a good supply, and possibly some OALD (overactive letdown). Babies usually grow out of/into the OALD, so that's not something you need to worry about too much.

That said, I would encourage your baby to stay longer on the first breast before switching. That could help him get more hindmilk, which could help with the fussiness and gas. If it's not happening, then switch. But if you can encourage him back onto that first breast for more sucking, do that when you can.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    As Karen said, I don't know that it sounds like you have EXTREME oversupply. Rather, you sound like you have a good supply, and possibly some OALD (overactive letdown). Babies usually grow out of/into the OALD, so that's not something you need to worry about too much.

That said, I would encourage your baby to stay longer on the first breast before switching. That could help him get more hindmilk, which could help with the fussiness and gas. If it's not happening, then switch. But if you can encourage him back onto that first breast for more sucking, do that when you can.
    I have been. I generally let him go as long as he wants on the first before switching. Like when he tends to fall asleep on the first side, I will burp him and try to feed him on the second. Since I originally posted this, my supply while pumping has seemed to calm a little. I am only getting 6 oz and only the first pumping of the day. And later pumpings is bringing me 3 and 4 oz.

The only thing that concerns me about OALD is that I read it can be causing the congestion he has. Seeing as trying to suck those boogies out doesn't seem to work, I am wondering if it's milk back there. And he has been congested for over a month now. (Only slightly... he breathes fine during sleep, you can only hear the 'snorting' when he's starting to fuss). We have our 2 month appointment next week, so I will be bringing it up to the dr.

Just one thing about congestion... My DS has been congested since early on, and I definitely don't have OS. I actually use BM to get his secretions moving before I suck them out instead of saline, and it works really well.
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly