Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Coffee-mate boosts milk supply??

Default Coffee-mate boosts milk supply??

So, I hit a slump for a few weeks while pumping at work. I came on here and mentioned it not too long ago. DD2 hasn't been sleeping well, so this week I started drinking a cup of decaf coffee each morning (trying to trick myself into thinking it was the "real deal" coffee). Each morning I've done this, I've pumped 2-4 ounces more while at work! It's just powdered, original, dairy-free Coffee-mate my work puts out by the coffee. Anyone else experience this?

Maybe it's a fluke? I experimented this morning and didn't have my coffee before my first pump; I pumped my average amount. Then, I had my coffee; my 2nd and 3rd pumps were 1-2 ounces more each. Weird!

If anyone else wants to try it out, let me know how it goes please. Maybe my body is just messing with me?

Oh, and I just wanted to mention that I've had decaf coffee before, so I know it's not the coffee.
    Hi, I'm Jen, mommy to Victoria (5/24/09, self-weaned 11/1/10) and Gabrielle (5/20/11, still going strong!). Always and sometimes ...when will I stop? When Gabbi says so!

Nursing Gabbi for fourteen months and counting!

The ladies here have gotten me through some rough times!

Default Re: Coffee-mate boosts milk supply??

I've never heard of that, I have heard of brown rice, oatmeal, green leafy vegetables and barley boosting milk supply (and can personally attest that brown rice really did help me). Coffee mate is, I think, by Nestle, you might want to look up Nestle boycott because they've done a lot of bad things to breastfeeding women in and babies in 3rd world countries. Either way, I'm glad you're making more milk! That is exciting!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yikes! I had no idea! I will look into it. Thank you for letting me know.
    Hi, I'm Jen, mommy to Victoria (5/24/09, self-weaned 11/1/10) and Gabrielle (5/20/11, still going strong!). Always and sometimes ...when will I stop? When Gabbi says so!

Yep it is a nestle product, but I love hearing all the milk boosting odd stuff! We has pop tarts for one mom and now coffee mate for you
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm wondering if your supply was actually boosted by your LO "not sleeping well" otherwise known as "nursing all night."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

She's got some teeth coming in, so wakes up once or twice now to nurse/hang out. She WAS sleeping through the night...started at 8 weeks and I thought we were the luckiest parents alive, because DD1 was terrible until about 7 months and then she started sleeping through the night. DD2 is going the opposite route. Could the 1 or 2 extra sessions really make the difference? What about my experiment? I don't know, but I'm certainly not upset about it!

If I was a betting woman I'd saw the 1-2 extra sessions are more likely the reason than the coffee mate. Nice to have that effect though regardless
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Pop-Tarts and coffee with CoffeeMate for all!

I bet it's the extra nursing.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Night nursing in particular is known to increase your levels of prolactin, the nursing hormone, which can keep your supply higher during the day too. No one really knows why, but night nursing is better for supply than day nursing. This can be some consolation when your child is up all night nursing.

My baby didn't sleep through the night until he was 2.5 years old, and still usually ends up in bed with me asking to nurse, so, um, I think you've been lucky with both your kids!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My baby didn't sleep through the night until he was 2.5 years old, and still usually ends up in bed with me asking to nurse, so, um, I think you've been lucky with both your kids!!
    Wow, I guess I am lucky! I guess you just get used to what you've experienced. We thought we were going to have it made in the shade with DD2. Well, we still don't know what is yet to come. The good news is that her two teeth that were coming in have finally "popped," so I'm hoping she has some relief for a little bit. I always wish I could take the pain away from my kids.

The night nursing would make more sense as to my supply going up. Still doesn't explain why my 2nd and 3rd pumps were larger after that cup of coffee. Like I said, though, I'm not complaining. Just thought I'd put the idea out there. You never know!

Thank you all for the thoughts!