Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about doc's recommendations

Default Confused about doc's recommendations

Ok. I told myself I wasn't going to worry about this anymore. But after today's appt with the LC, I'm genuinely confused.

DS and I have had an interesting BF experience so far. I've had docs pushing supplementing since his first appt after birth. We dropped the first doc after a month and found another who was more supportive of BFing, but we were asked to supplement again at 2 months, then to increase the supplement again at DS's 4 month appt just last week (all due to weight/growth issues).

At his 4 month appt, DS weighed in at 12 lbs 14 oz, up from 9 lbs 13 oz at 2 months. He was getting 4-6 oz of formula per day for those two months. (9 lbs 1 oz at birth, back up to 9 lbs at 1 month)
    Today, DS weighed 14 lbs. This is after a week of getting about 24 oz of formula per day.

He really seemed to need the extra formula, at least until yesterday. Growth spurt, maybe? He's starting to leave bottles unfinished (I offer him one after every BF session - dr's orders) He's also been uninterested and refused a couple of bottles. I don't force the issue. DS still enjoys nursing, and will vehemently refuse a bottle when he wants me instead

My question is this: We weighed him on a milk transfer scale today with the LC. He got 3 oz from me! Granted, this was after an odd night (he only nursed once) so that may have had something to do with it. Still, this seems like a lot of BM, so why is he not gaining well enough for the doc to have me offer 4 oz after each feeding? 4 oz of formula is what he'd be getting if he wasn't BFing! Confused.

Oh, the doc did say he wants to try to push DS back up the charts because he started out so big (in the 90+ percentile across the board at birth) and dropped so far (about 10th percentile for weight, and height dropped from 85th-55th in the last 2 months). Maybe this has something to do with his supplement recommendation? He also told me he doesn't think my supply is high enough to EBF. DS's growth does seem to reflect that; though he's meeting all his milestones just fine.

I've made my peace with supplementing, but should it really be this high?

One more thing: Just an estimate; but from what I observed this morning with the milk transfer scale, I'd guess DS is getting at least 1.5 - 2 oz from me at a normal feeding.

My apologies for the disjointed novel
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Default Re: Confused about doc's recommendations

I had a friend in a similar situation. She had insufficient glandular tissue and did need to supplement. She rented a baby scale weighed baby before and after each feed. She would base the supplement amount on that. Baby needs about 25 oz of bm a day.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

*bump*

Mama, did you have IV fluids in your labor? I'm wondering if your baby's weight was artificially elevated from the extra fluids.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

my baby 4 months old dr says he isnt gaining enough been wanting to supplement since 2 months , have held off . what did you do ? need help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aguerriero View Post
    my baby 4 months old dr says he isnt gaining enough been wanting to supplement since 2 months , have held off . what did you do ? need help as well.
    Hi there
    I would suggest starting a new thread with your question and specifics. You will get better input that way.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    *bump*

Mama, did you have IV fluids in your labor? I'm wondering if your baby's weight was artificially elevated from the extra fluids.
    No IV fluids. His birth was quick, uncomplicated, and natural. Other mamas have suggested (on a previous thread I posted) getting tested for any medical reasons I may not be producing enough, which I intend to do.

Oh, and thanks melissawoods. It's good to have an idea of how much DS needs on a daily basis.

To answer aguerriero's question, I ended up supplementing. DS has chunked up. A lot! He's moving up the growth charts, not that it's a competition or anything. He did seem content before, no behaviors that would raise alarms. Fussy evenings, but it all seemed normal. He is now very content, and the difference is obvious. He nurses for about 10-15 minutes, then drains a 4 oz bottle, and he's happy for a couple of hours. We still just BF during the night and he's happy to do that. He's transferring about 2oz of BM at each nursing session during the day. I resisted the idea at first, but it does seem that whatever my supply issues were, I needed a little extra help. I wish he was EBF, but I'm proud of what BM he is getting, and it still makes me smile to see those little BM curds in his diapers mixed in with all that formula grey-green. Silly proud mama moment, I know
    Last edited by @llli*faeln; December 29th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!