Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Salty breastmilk??

Default Salty breastmilk??

Something weird has been going on the past couple of days. First of all my daughter (14 months old) who normally nurses 10+ times a day (not counting nights) suddenly lost interest in nursing. More specifically, she will act like she wants to nurse, then she starts and stops after only a couple of sucks, so then the milk lets down and leaks everywhere. As a result I got somewhat engorged. Then I noticed a yellow stain on one of my breastpads - this has happened sometimes before but this time the stain was much bigger. Finally I decided to taste some breastmilk - it tasted salty! I`m guessing this is the reason my daughter is refusing it. Any thoughts?

As some background, there is NO possibility I could be pregnant because my husband has been away for the past two months. I have no period yet since getting pregnant with my daughter. She also might be getting her first molar because the gum seems swollen but i can`t get a good look.
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Default Re: Salty breastmilk??

It could be salty because she hasn't nursed as much lately. If I am not mistaken, when your milk sits in your breast for a long time it can start to taste salty.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    It could be salty because she hasn't nursed as much lately. If I am not mistaken, when your milk sits in your breast for a long time it can start to taste salty.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It's totally reversible though. I got some salty milk when I didn't pump for a long time (I EP). And once I got the clogged duct out and went back to my routine, it tasted fine.

I hope you can get her to nurse!

so the salty taste is the result from her not nursing and not the other way around? but what could be causing her non-nursing in the first place? she DOES still nurse but it`s a dramatic decrease from her usual frequency and often she will start and stop like i described above. she didn`t have any problem nursing during the night however, in fact nursed even more than usual last night - maybe making up for the day?
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Maybe she wants to be sure it's still available but is too busy to nurse for long periods of time.

Sometimes there can be a negative feedback loop, where the baby randomly goes for a while without nursing, and because the milk sits unused in the breast it starts to taste salty, and then when the baby does nurse she gets some salty milk and decides she doesn't like the taste, so she skips or cuts short another nursing session, leading to even saltier milk the next time around, etc. I think that if you want to eliminate this as a possible issue, you could try pumping or hand expressing until the breast is quite empty (presuming your baby will not nurse). That should restore the milk's normal taste.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"