Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: three week old wants to nurse constantly

Default three week old wants to nurse constantly

this has been getting worse and worse she hasn't wanted to quit nursing for more than 30 min the last 8 hrs! I am getting tired and frustrated.After feeding for a bit she may fall aseep but if I try to put her down or hand her off she will wake up and act hungry! I don't know what to do.I know she is getting milk and she has plenty of dirty and wet diapers so I don't know what is going on. i wish I could nrse laying down but my breasts are huge and I don't want her to suffocate.Please help!

Default Re: three week old wants to nurse consta

She has been inside of you for 9 months, you are ALL she knows of the outside world. So she feels safe and secure with you. Not to mention I am assuming you are her only food source. So this is normal for such a young baby, as she gets more experience in the outside world (outside your uterus) she will get more confident with out you. Some babies need mommies touch more then others, but all NEED mommy as that is all they have known for 9 months.

You are right she probably is not hungry but suckling is a way of being with you and bonding with you, that's again what she knows.

As for sleeping, I also have HUGE breast. I'm a I cup. However, I do sleep (at least lightly sleep) and laydown while nursing. I do side laying, and what they call top feeding. I lay baby across my body and let him/her nurse from the top breast, rather then the breast closest to the bed (bottom) gravity kind of pulls the breast down any way since its so heavy and big. As the baby gets older (like my current babe is now almost 8 weeks) they can learn to eat while you are laying down better, and you learn how to feed them better as well. For now you can practice during the day till you get comfortable with it for night time. Try to take naps when your hubby is home and can come and watch you in bed, with the baby. That way you don't have to be worried, he could save the baby and wake you up if any mishaps were to happen, although to tell you the truth it is highly unlikely, cause you will probably be very cautious even in your sleep of the baby. But, at least you would have him as a back up and could then get some rest.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Welcome! Since this is hitting right at 3 weeks, my guess is that you're going through your first big growth spurt, which typically hits at 3 weeks or thereabouts. During a spurt, you bialy do nothing but nurse the baby all day, and quite possibly all night as well. The good news is that it is temporary!

How has nursing been going so far? Any pain, any other issues that we could help with?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

growth spurt

With some towels or small pillows, I bet you could support baby and breast enough while laying down
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    With some towels or small pillows, I bet you could support baby and breast enough while laying down
    Try rolling a washcloth or small towel into a cylindrical shape and tucking it right under your breast. That might enable you to nurse without having to hold up your breast- while simultaneously trying to position and hold baby!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was thinking same thing - growth spurt. I totally empathize with the feeling of never being able to put her down. It's those times I feel most like a cow. It's like my sole purpose is to nurse -- forget about bathing, sleeping, going to the bathroom. With my older ones, even when I was able to do those things while Daddy held them, they cried til I returned. What I've learned is that even though by 2-3 weeks PP (when you start finally feeling human again and want to just get out of bed already) you're feeling a bit better, thats the first growth spurt timeframe and baby needs Momma. Research has shown that mom and baby should do nothing but bond for the first month. Sometimes it's hard to do -- and no, you're not a monster if you need a few minutes of Mommy time!! But before you know it, that tiny little suggly thing will be a big kid. So cherish what you can and know that you're not alone!!
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!

Yep 3 weeks is a growth spurt! One idea to to wear your baby in a carrier. She will still be close to you and you can get stuff done.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Same thing happened to my DD at 3 weeks! Growth spurt for sure I would think. I thought I'd be walking around to her attached to my breast for next 2 years! But she did eventually get through it. She is 12 weeks now and nurses on demand still but goes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours in between. And as for laying down go ahead and try it. My sister is super well endowed and she still does fine. Good luck! HANG IN THERE! It will get better I promise!!!

PS look up the Moby Wrap! Its so great for wearing baby and helps her feel close and connected without you without having to nurse.

3 weeks growth spurt. 3-5 days of marathon nursing. You are on day one. Hunker down and plan to stay on the couch. She is upping your milk supply.

Way too lazy for formula