Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure to Thrive Issue with Twins

Default Re: Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure To Thrive with Twins

katie, I can write but a second now but promise that I will come back to you later. 14 lbs at 6 months is not bad my ds was 14pounds 11 ounces, 26 3/4 long. We have also had the failure to thrive recently. Please do not worry. Go to Dr, Jay Gordon. com and read the article called Look at the Baby not the scale, it was very encouraging to me. I will come back at nap time. ( 1 pm ) hang in there!

Wow Chicky! I cannot imagine what you are going through but it sounds like you are doing a great job so far. Are your twins alert, responsive, "meeting milestones" and have good diaper output? My DD is 4.5 mos & only 11 lb 5 oz, so we'll be lucky if she gets to 14 lb by 6 mos! And she was 2 weeks overdue & 7lb 10 oz at birth. But she's very alert & does all the stuff 4.5mo olds should do so I think she's just a slow gainer. My friend has twins that are 16 mos & may have just reached 20 lbs (formula fed) so your twins weight itself is not the worst, let us know how else they are doing. Also, sounds like your son may need to see someone - sounds like he may have some reflux issues. Hang in there, I hope you'll get some good advice from others on this board.

Hello chicky! Welcome to the boards!

We do not usually merge threads here, but your situation is complicated and your questions would be best answered on one thread (you won't be recieving the same suggestions over and over, or seriously conflicting suggestions).

You say you have to be with your dh for his appointments. You did not mention if you pump/hand express during this time or if it's even an option for you. If not, is expressing milk something you could try?

Here's some information you might find helpful:
    weight gain:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBweightchild.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html (NOT a LLL resource)
    GER:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html
    Another PCOS resource (NOT LLL)
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/pcos.html

chicky, thank you for bringing your questions to the board. I hope we're able to help. Since this is a message board, and not real life, we can't *see* you. So, please be aware that we're very limited in ways that we can help. The very best we can do is offer information and support. Would it be possible for you to *see* an LLL Leader and/or IBCLC in your area? I realize that you're very busy as it is, but I honestly believe being seen would be the best way for you to recieve the help you need. Many LLL Leaders and IBCLCs will make house calls. [Note: IBCLCs usually charge for their services, however, many will work out payment plans or offer sliding scale fees based on income.]

((((hugs)))) to you and your family. Please take care of yourself. And please do keep us updated!

Default Re: Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure to Thrive Issue with Twins

You are in my prayers! You are a strong women. Are you allowed to go in with your DH or do you wait for the 6 hours for him to get out of chemo? If you wait, I would take twins with you to Chemo and nurse while you are waiting. Or do it every other appointment and explain to dh you are trying to take care of everyone in the family. Hang in there and again I will be praying for you.

OK, I thought a little bit more about your situation and my heart really goes out to you and your family My only suggestions would be to wake them in the night and nurse them, my ped said that like it or not my ds needed to eat around the clock. Usually when I go in to get him he never even wakes up, he just nurses and then I put him back down. If that is not an option I would pump at least every 3 hours and safe that milk for when you have to go to the doctors appointments with dh. Also can you tell me why they are trying to label him FTT? Thanks

My ds has also had weight gain issues, so in addition to nursing we are adding a very small amount of Neonatal formula to ebm to increase the calories he takes in. He also has reflux, but tolerates the enriched ebm much better than the formula. The first week he was on this regimen he gained 13 oz, which was phenomenal for him. I also have a friend who has twin boys who she did the same for, added the formula to ebm. They also started gaining very well afterward. Ask you doctor if that may be an option for your kids.

I agree with those who said that you could drop off your dh and then pick him up later.

I'll pray for you and your family.

Chicky, you certainly have a hard row to hoe! I am amazed at your strength in being able to carry all these burdens.
    PCOS is a serious concern. Of course we still want you to keep in touch, but we can only do so much to help you here.
    I would strongly suggest that you contact a local LLL Leader who can offer you one-to-one help in person. You deserve this!

To find a local La Leche League Group or Leader, please go to:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/contact.html
    If you don’t see a Group near you, call the nearest Leader, because not all Groups are listed.

If there is no LLL Leader in your neighbourhood, you might want to see a board certified (IBCLC) lactation consultant. LCs usually charge for services. To find a local LC go to http://www.ilca.org

warmly,
    LLLnormaR