Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure to Thrive Issue with Twins

Default Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure to Thrive Issue with Twins

Hello I am new here and in need of serious help!

A little background on me:
    My first daughter Mackayla was born prematurely at 35 weeks due to no amniotic fluid, she also has CP among a slew of other disabilities but I was able to Breast feed her for 18 months with little complications.

My twins were born in August at 35 weeks they just turned 6 months old and we are having alot of problems with them both. Ellie my little girl is 14 3/4 pounds and 24 inches at 6 months old, my son JR is 26 inches and just 14 pounds at 6 months old!

I have tried to breastfeed them both since day 1 unfortunately i keep having to supplemet them due to lack of milk. I have tried fenugreek, domperidone, reglan and a few other things. I just started my period today so again my supply has dropped dramatically again. My husband was also diagnosed with cancer in december and having to take him back and forth to the doctor appontments all the time leaves me having to leave the twins with my parents where they get formula.

belive me I know that this is all turning into a huge vicious cycle. but i need help and fast. My son JR is so tiny the dr is on the verge of labeling him failure to thrive. we have tried all kinds of formulas with him to no avail he has severe reflux issues and can not tolerate formula at all anymore! What i have been doing is mostly giving him all the breastmilk and just nursing his sister 1x a day to at least still give her some antibiodies. as she tolerates the formula so much better than her brother.I really would like to be able to bf them both exclusively and cut all bottles of formula out as she also suffers from reflux issues.

we will now be doing weekly weigt checks on the twins since JR only gained 5 ounces in 1 month and ellie gained 10 ounces in 1 month.

I am literally at the end of my rope, i do not know what to do anymore i need help and fast the dr is wanting to to supllement them both more than what i am and i am not comfortablein doing that as JR has gotten to where he vomits the formula withing 20 minutes of taking it i am afraid he is getting dehydrated as well.

I also suffer from fibroids, pcos and hemargenic cysts on bothmy ovaries could this also be causing my supply to plummet? please help me and my babies i know taht the best thing for them is the breastmilk but i just cant seem to make enough for them!

Katie

Default Re: Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure to Thrive Issue with Twins

I feel for you, and this site is a wonderful place to come! I am new here, too, and a first-time mom but know that you can find help, encouragement, and some answers from the experienced moms of twins, and the leaders here. Just know that you are trying your best, and don't give up! Sometimes it takes a little while to get the answers, but in the mean time, pray, pray and drink a ton of water. I tried formula with my son a few times in desperate times, and it didn't go well with him. I know that any breastmilk your babies get is better than none, so at least you can give what you are.
    Keep your chin up and I will pray for you.
    Hang in there!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

My advice may not be the easiest... but here goes.
    Nurse, Nurse, Nurse!!!!! That is the best way to get your milk up. Fenugreek and blessed thistle together seem to work better both 3 pills 3x's a day and you can take them with the prescription. Stop the bottles!!! Don't leave the babies anymore. Take them with you and Nurse, Nurse, Nurse!!! My last 3 are 16 months apart and we live 2 hours from town I still take them with me regardless of doctors appointments, grocery shopping, or whatever else I need to cram into the days trip. I just leave a little eaxra time to stop and nurse. It sounds as though breastmilk is the answer to all your issues with the babies.

You could also See if there is a milk bank in your area or go to a LLL meeting and see if some ladies will pump for you in the mean time.

i wish you the best of luck

also sleeping and letting the babies nurse all night will help tons!! This seems to be when my babies nurse most.

thank you for your ideas but unfortunately taking the twins with me to the chemo appointments is not an option they are not allowed into the chemo room so they have to be left with my parents during that time ,hubby is on strong pain meds and cannot drive before and after the chemo so there is no option of letting him take himself to the treatments.They also last 6 hours as well so i cannot sit out in the car with 3 small children for 6 hours.

also the twins sleep for 10 hrs at night they have been sleeping through the night since 2 months of age they will not wake up to eat during that time and trying to force them to eat isnt an option either as they will have nothing to with it they just cry to be put back to sleep and have no interest in nursing at night.

I do nurse as much as i can during the day but my oldest daughter is special needs she has cp among other thing and is only 2 years old. so taking a week and just nursing them around the clock isntreally an option either not with having to care for my oldest dd and my sick hubby as well. then all 3 kids have therapy as well during the week so we spend alot of time at dr appointments every week.

I will try the blessed thistle in combo with the fenugreek and see if that helps any.

Default Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure To Thrive with Twins

Hello I am new here and in need of serious help!

A little background on me:
    My first daughter Mackayla was born prematurely at 35 weeks due to no amniotic fluid, she also has CP among a slew of other disabilities but I was able to Breast feed her for 18 months with little complications.

My twins were born in August at 35 weeks they just turned 6 months old and we are having alot of problems with them both. Ellie my little girl is 14 3/4 pounds and 24 inches at 6 months old, my son JR is 26 inches and just 14 pounds at 6 months old!

I have tried to breastfeed them both since day 1 unfortunately i keep having to supplemet them due to lack of milk. I have tried fenugreek, domperidone, reglan and a few other things. I just started my period today so again my supply has dropped dramatically again. My husband was also diagnosed with cancer in december and having to take him back and forth to the doctor appontments all the time leaves me having to leave the twins with my parents where they get formula.

belive me I know that this is all turning into a huge vicious cycle. but i need help and fast. My son JR is so tiny the dr is on the verge of labeling him failure to thrive. we have tried all kinds of formulas with him to no avail he has severe reflux issues and can not tolerate formula at all anymore! What i have been doing is mostly giving him all the breastmilk and just nursing his sister 1x a day to at least still give her some antibiodies. as she tolerates the formula so much better than her brother.I really would like to be able to bf them both exclusively and cut all bottles of formula out as she also suffers from reflux issues.

we will now be doing weekly weigt checks on the twins since JR only gained 5 ounces in 1 month and ellie gained 10 ounces in 1 month.

I am literally at the end of my rope, i do not know what to do anymore i need help and fast the dr is wanting to to supllement them both more than what i am and i am not comfortablein doing that as JR has gotten to where he vomits the formula withing 20 minutes of taking it i am afraid he is getting dehydrated as well.

I also suffer from fibroids, pcos and hemargenic cysts on bothmy ovaries could this also be causing my supply to plummet? please help me and my babies i know taht the best thing for them is the breastmilk but i just cant seem to make enough for them!

Katie

I am Katies business partner...

And why it may seem that she is making excuses as to why she has to leave her kids or why she does not take them everywhere she goes or why she does not nurse them at night....

These are not things she can change they are not excuses....Her husband was suddenly diagnosed with cancer which he has just started doing cemo for, they do have family that lives close but no one willing to take 6 hours from there day so that Katie can stay home with the babies why John is in cemo, besides she feels its her "duty" to do it all at this point. No matter how much I tell her she cant!

She has a sick daughter who is also in and out of the hospital, as well as being not so healthy herself. She has problems with growths on her overies and things of that nature, as well as you can guess that UNBELEIVABLE amout of stress that she is under, with 3 kids under 2 1/2 and a sick husband, and shes not working either (well she co-ownes a business but that only brings in so much).

I agree that Nursing Nursing Nursing and REST REST REST are the best ways to help her, however she is one woman....How does she relistically help her supply as much as possible with trying to do everything else too?

I have helped her come up with some idea's including trying to nurse them more at night, and also wearing them some....

Just a thought and maybe you are already doing this, but can you rent a hospital grade pump? Even if they refuse to nurse at night you might could pump once or twice if you aren't already.

There is alot on your plate and I wish you luck!!

You really are dealing with a lot right now. I want to think about and research this some more but right now, off the top of my head, my suggestions are:

Take dh to chemo and drop him off and return to pick him up when he's done. During that time, take oldest daughter to caregiver and then nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse your babies. I understand that you feel an obligation to be there with your husband. However I also think it's important to understand that your baby's health may be in jeopardy.

If you can't do the above, take oldest daughter to caregiver (and possibly dd twin) and take son with you to drop dh off. Find some place else in the hospital to be with him and nurse him on demand.

Ask your doctor for a prescription for human milk. I do not know the in's and out's of how this works but I believe that if your doctor prescribes human breastmilk then you can get it from a milk bank and your ins. will pay for it, if only partially.

The thing is, you're not only dealing with a lot of emotional issues but you are dealing with some health issues as well. PCOS is especially concerning. You may want to read this: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

I'd like to do some more research on this issue and get back to you. In the mean time can you tell us why your doctor is on the verge of labeling your son as FTT? Is it simply his lack of adequate weight gain or is he showing other signs of concern?

I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV, but I did have a similar experience with my son, Colton. I got a lot of the wonderful advice you have already been given, and I encourage you to keep trying, and keep your chin up. Nurse, nurse, nurse whenever you can, and pump when you can't.
    My son was 7 mos and 13 lbs (born at 8 lbs) and hadn't gained in 3 months. He was put in the hospital as failure to thrive. He was also diagnosed with acid-reflux and was on meds for that. I eventually had to stop nursing when they put him on a feeding tube. Much later, an x-ray showed that he was systemically plugged- from the bottom of his stomach to the exit, his whole GI track was packed. We don't know why it happened, but once we got things moving, his appetite went to normal, his reflux went away, and he's now a happy, healthy 32 month old. Only you know what the doctors have looked at, but if they haven't taken a picture of his GI, it might be worth a mention. No external exam ever suggested the need for a picture with my son, one was finally taken as a last stab in the dark. I just wanted to share this- some instinct said I should. Best wishes!

Default Re: Please Read Need Help ASAP Failure To Thrive with Twins

Katie -- good heavens, what an ordeal! I can't imagine caring for an older child with cerebral palsy, a husband going through cancer treatments, and nursing twins.

I don't know much about any of the various factors in this situation, but I have read that PCOS can cause low milk supply.

I encourage you to repost this on the "Special Situations" boards -- hopefully people there with more expertise in PCOS and twins will have some suggestions for you.

--Rebecca