Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPing, but baby won't take bottle now

Default Re: EPing, but baby won't take bottle no

My DD had a milk transfer issue too and I was always concerned with how much she was getting from nursing. Do you do breast compressions while nursing? Also I try to pump while nursing if I am concerned about supply or trying to get more for her daycare bottles. I usually get a pretty good letdown that way.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I've been feeding on demand, but he's not demanding enough. I have been doing breast compressions while he's nursing. That really made a difference when I pumped, so hopefully it's helping him.

I will give pumping on one side a shot while DS is nursing. I've done that before when in a bind. I tried pumping after he went to bed last night, but could not get my milk to let down even after 30 minutes, so pumping while nursing should prevent that. I guess the baby and the pump stimulate differently enough to prevent me from responding well to both.

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how today goes.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

So DS has only taken in 18 ounces today. He still has 3 hours left to make a complete 24 hours, but there's no way he'll get even 3 more ounces in that time.

I've tried supplementing with a bottle and cup today with no luck. He's had plenty of wet diapers, one poop, and has been happy all day. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry, but I can't help it. The numbers just don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Andy View Post
    Everyone keeps telling me not to worry, but I can't help it. The numbers just don't add up.
    But let's imagine a world where you didn't have these issues and didn't have a scale to measure. You'd be looking at his wet and dirty diapers thinking things are ok, right? I'd just keep watching it and see how it goes. It's hard not to worry, but mama, if you had a hungry baby - you would know it!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I know, I'm trying not to worry. Yesterday's total was better - around 22 ounces. He's off to a good start today too. I'm taking the scale back tomorrow, so I'll just have to watch diaper output and his cues after that. That's when I'll really start to worry. : )

DS has already pooped 3 times today, and he normally takes a week to do that. Why is he pooping more when he's eating less? Could he not be getting enough hindmilk, since he seems to just be snacking all day? His last one was pretty green, but normally it's orangish brown.

It may be that nursing is stimulating his digestive system to move things along in a way that bottle-feeding didn't.

You don't want to diagnose a lack of hindmilk intake unless the baby's poops are consistently green, he's really gassy, or he's not gaining weight. I think you're nowhere near needing to worry right now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It may be that nursing is stimulating his digestive system to move things along in a way that bottle-feeding didn't.
    I wondered about that. He hasn't been gassy at all, so I won't worry about the hindmilk. Thanks!