Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPing, but baby won't take bottle now

Default EPing, but baby won't take bottle now

A little background: My now 4-month-old was born tongue-tied. We had it clipped, but he still did not effectively transfer milk. He was not gaining weight and I was told to supplement at 3 weeks. I started pumping to supplement and called a LC in for help. My supply had tanked, so we decided that I would pump exclusively for nutrition until my supply increased, and I would offer the breast for comfort as well as practice. I did this for almost 4 months.

Last week my son started refusing the bottle. He would cry a little at first and then take it, but now he won't take a bottle at all. He gets tense and starts crying if he even sees us pick up the bottle. I believe part of the problem may be that he's teething. (His gums look a little swollen.) So now I'm nursing only.

I was worried about how much he was getting, so I rented a scale yesterday. The last 2 days have been difficult, due to the teething. He latches on, sucks a little, pulls off and cries, repeat. The most he has taken in all day at one time was during the night, when he got 4.7 ounces. The rest of the day he's only taken in a half an ounce or 1.5 ounces here and there.

The total ounces consumed over a 24 hour period was right around 25 ounces, which is average. It just worries me that he's taking in such little amounts all spread out through the day. Of course, when taking the bottle, he was only getting up once at night, but last night he got up 3 times. (Which I know could also be teething-related.)

I know my supply is good (or at least was before this started), and he is capable of transferring the milk now (since he got so much during the night), but I just need some reassurance that his small quantity intake is okay, as long as the overall total is good. I'm also wondering if this will hurt my supply. I've tried pumping after feeding him, but for some reason my milk usually won't let down if I've nursed recently.

Thanks!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Default Re: EPing, but baby won't take bottle no

As long as the overall total I good, frequent small feedings are fine and actually very normal. If you've been doing a lot of bottle-feeding this can be very surprising, since most babies will take way more from the bottle than from the breast in a given sitting. So if you're used to seeing your baby down a 4 oz bottle and then not want to eat for 3-4 hours, it's going to be shocking to nurse instead and have him take just an oz or two and then want to eat again fairly soon thereafter.

It actually sounds to me like this is a good chance to give up bottles and pumping, if you wish to do so, and transition to nursing exclusively at the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh man, if he nurses, GO FOR IT! Give up bottles and just nurse you can always cup feed if you are going out for a couple hours and can't take him with you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Oh man, if he nurses, GO FOR IT! Give up bottles and just nurse you can always cup feed if you are going out for a couple hours and can't take him with you.

Believe me, if he can nurse now and get enough, I will gladly stop pumping! You don't know how many tears I've cried, wondering how I was going to EP for an entire year.

I've got the scale for another few days, so I will continue to monitor his intake just to make sure he's got the hang of it now.

You are living my dream...I HATE EPing with a passion.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That's good news! Small, frequent feedings are really the way babies are meant to eat. If it all adds up to a good amount, then there's nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Keep us posted!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Today did not go as well. I lost track of some amounts during the middle of the night, but he only took in 20 ounces at most from me. I managed to get him to take an extra 2 ounces by bottle tonight. He has had plenty of wet diapers and pooped 3 times, which is more than he usually goes in a week. I have offered all day, but there are times when he takes 1 ounce and doesn't want more for another hour or so. Not sure what to do at this point.

Just offer on demand. That is how BF babies eat
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Just offer on demand. That is how BF babies eat
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"