Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really need to pump?

Default Re: Do I really need to pump?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MagnoliaHoney View Post
    I have pumped on the NYC subway/train, and also on air planes.
    Really??!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well, us EPing moms have to do stuff that keeps us comfortable and our kids fed
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Way to go, mamas! Seriously, I am just speechless with admiration! I thought it was crazy that I pumped in the car, while driving in city traffic, but I now perceive that I am a mere novice in the world of pumping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

lol Very true Susan. It's near impossible to get supply back at least it was for me when eping. So I just couldn't miss a pumping time. The first couple of months I was shy, and went to some secluded room, but after a few weeks I found I was lonely. So I started just pumping where ever I was, when it was time to pump. So yup on subways, planes, trains and automobiles as they say! lol haha

One time I was pumping at my parents dining table, and my little sisters friend (around 20 y/o) kept asking what that noise was, we were all so used to it we didn't know what she was talking about. She kept saying, seriously you don't hear that sound, about the time I was done finally one of my siblings said, maybe you are talking about Heather's pump? And we all had a good laugh as she didn't even realize I was pumping milk. Pumping milk is not something I guess most people are familiar with, so they don't seem to realize what I was doing most the time, except for that loud odd noise! lol haha

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

In these sorts of weird and potentially awkward situations, I find it easier to single side pump and to not use a pumping bra, just in case someone is wondering how to do it. And hopefully I put on a shirt that is easy to manipulate and put a cover in my bag.

I prefer to double pump, and I don't want people watching while I hook up, so for those reasons, I do prefer to go to a different room to pump.

I don't travel by train or subway in the course of my normal life, i never take cabs, and we don't travel by airplane often at all, like maybe once every 2-5 years (!). So I haven't had to pump in those situations. But car pumping...I do it all the time.

Sorry, OP, for the hijack, but I do think you will be fine if you stop pumping at work with your babies at this age especially if they nurse a lot when you are home.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Respect to all you ladies pumping in public.

Where i live now, BF in public is considered "alternative behavior" and pumping in public is simply not socially acceptable (although its not illegal!). I hope that by the time my girls grow up BF in public will be normal in pumping will be alternative.

I m pursuing a career in a small community and i care what my colleagues think about me (I m shy and unsecure). And I can BF in front of them, but cant pump (not even under a blanket ). Maybe I could do it somewhere where nobody knows me, where I dont care what people think about me and i dont have to prove them how a great worker i am. Many work colleagues commute with me on train.

But I d like that my experience makes a difference. I ve written a letter to a women affair representative at my working place and I ve asked her to raise a question about a special room where all young working mothers could BF or pump discretely in the future. The German "Mother-protection law" (Mutterschutz Gesatz) gives to mothers the right to pump or BF during the working time.