Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sharp nerve pain in both breasts?

Default Sharp nerve pain in both breasts?

Good morning ladies. I've been successfully nursing for 6 weeks now, all of a sudden I am experiencing some sharp nerve-like pains in both of my breasts. They feel like they start in the nipple most of the time, but others it feels deep within the breast tissue. Any ideas what this could be? My LO is latching fine, and latch / feeding does not hurt at all. The pain comes randomly through out the day.

Also, if I were to contact a Dr about this, would I contact my PCP or a midwife / OB?

Default Re: Sharp nerve pain in both breasts?

How do your nipples look- do they look red, shiny, or flakey?
    Does baby have any signs of thrush- white patches in mouth (will look different than milk on the tongue) or yeasty diaper rash?

If you (or your medical provider) have ruled out these things, it could simply be your letdown. Some women experience brief, shooting sensations at various times throughout the day because of letdown- not just when they are nursing.

If you are concerned about the possibility of thrush, give your OB/midwife a call.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bonzaii View Post
    Good morning ladies. I've been successfully nursing for 6 weeks now, all of a sudden I am experiencing some sharp nerve-like pains in both of my breasts. They feel like they start in the nipple most of the time, but others it feels deep within the breast tissue. Any ideas what this could be? My LO is latching fine, and latch / feeding does not hurt at all. The pain comes randomly through out the day.

Also, if I were to contact a Dr about this, would I contact my PCP or a midwife / OB?
    I've been having this sometimes and for me it always has to do with being dehydrated (weird, I know). As soon as I gulp down a glass (or two) of water, it goes away.

Thank you for the insights! I do know what my let down feels like, it's much different than that. It is like a pin point spot, where the let down is felt through out the whole breast. I've been previously told that I may be over producing, could it be related to that?

My nipples look normal. They're slightly lighter in color than they were when I was pregnant. And the only white in Logan's mouth is his milk tongue. Interesting - lucky - as the pain did go away after i drank some water. I was wicked thirsty too. Maybe that's it for me?

I have a similar feeling as well throughout the day too. My Lactation nurse said that it could be my milk refilling (thrush was ruled out). Good to hear about drinking some extra water! Think that might help me as well!