Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DD's milk is drying up all on it's own.

Default Re: DD's milk is drying up all on it's o

Yes, this can happen overnight practically. It has happened very rapidly for me every time, having had four pregnancies while breastfeeding. And the fact that she could pump and now can't makes me think this is what is going on when coupled with the fussiness the LO is exhibiting. It is sad, and it is hard on everyone. I cried when I realized nursing was done for my first two. One did come back to it after the baby was born and nursed for a month or two.

When pregnant with a fussy baby who is teething, meds are a necessity or mom will go nuts from exhaustion. BTDT several times now
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes pregnancy can definitely dry up the milk! And it's very typical for this to happen in the 2nd trimester. While it's very normal for babies to really slow, even stop gaining weight when they become mobile, actually LOSING weight would concern me a bit.

She needs to have a varied diet of solids if she won't take formula or won't take much formula. At 11 months you could give cow's milk but I wouldn't unless she is on solids including iron rich foods. This is because cow's milk is not fortified with iron the way formula or breast milk is...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Yes, pregnancy does change the picture quite a bit. Baby shouldn't be losing weight. It is typical for their weight gain to slow down in the second half of the first year, but if she's actually losing weight she's not getting enough calories.

One thing your daughter might try is introducing some high calorie solids. Baby food tends to be a lot of fruits and vegetables, which are usually low on calories. One exception is avocado -- that's a great one for calories and fat as well as being very nutritious. Whole milk yogurt is another possibility... Or maybe adding some olive oil to other foods...

The guideline is that babies' primary source of nutrition for the first year should be breastmilk or formula, if breastmilk is not available, which is pretty easy to say when you're not the one trying to convince an unhappy baby to drink formula she doesn't want. I'm not sure what to suggest about that except to keep trying. Maybe someone else here will have some ideas.

I'm sorry your DD and grandbaby are having such a stressful time.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

After weaning is complete, how many calories should baby get daily?

Just don't know.

coconut oil is a good on to cook with if you want to add in calories. I am not one to overuse meds. But teething....sometimes I felt it was needed.

Way too lazy for formula

Well all, DD's milk has completely dried up now. There is no milk whatsoever. So sad. Occurred to me though that if this is all happening naturally, it is obviously God's design for some of us to dry up to, perhaps, get ready for the next baby when pregnant. Not anything dd did to cause it.

Baby seems to have lost a little more weight as her body just feels lighter. Please let me explain, however. She has always been the fattest, fattest little baby that you ever saw. So precious! Therefore, we've always known that at some point some or all of that baby fat would begin to fall off as she became more active. Sooo, do you think that it is ok that she's lost some weight now knowing how fat she was??? She had rolls everywhere. No kidding. It was so flippin cute!

This whole transition has been incredibly stressful for my daughter as she just does not really know what to do in the way of calories per day that baby needs now that she is no longer nursing. We are both a little confused about whether or not she really even needs any sort of milk at all being that she is 11 mos old. If so, would cow's or goat's be best? As I mentioned before, we, humans, are the only species that continue to drink milk for life.....and the milk is from another species to boot. Although I am not saying that we are of the animal kingdom, it is noteworthy that every single animal in that kingdom has a few months of nursing their young and then cuts them off/weans them at some point. Never do they allow them to continue drinking milk for life. These are the reasons I question whether or not she truly even needs milk at all. However, I'm not saying she does not at this point being 11 months old. I just know that she does not need it forever.

Also, baby has had eczema almost since birth. I read that many people have had luck with Coconut Oil so dd tried that on her and she broke out in terrible hives. Then nest night...Christmas night and yesterday she had fever. Got up to 102. Talked to her this morning and baby has not had fever since yesterday late afternoon. Praise God! We were worried because in addition to the coconut oil episode, dd wasn't thinking at all and gave baby some of the carrots that I made for Christmas that had honey on them. Yikes! Could the allergic reaction cause fever??
    She, of course, is also teething, so who in the world knows what the fever was all about.

Ok, so again to recap (ha), my 3 main questions are these:

1. How many calories does an 11 month NON-nursing baby need?

2. Does her body still, TRULY, require milk of some sort?

3. If so, what type of milk will give her the nutrients that her body needs? Goats, Cows?? (FYI - She HATES formula and will not take it)

Hey, Joes Mom, looks like you and my dd are each expecting your 2nd child around the same time. Fun!

Thanks to you all so much to you for your help and words of wisdom. They are needed and greatly appreciated.

Fever is back. 100 currently.

Joe was also a really chubby baby, so when he got active, his weight plateaued for a long time. Actually, he has only gained seven pounds in TWO YEARS! (He was 24 lbs at 6 months - HUGE - and is about 33 lbs now. But he's still a big boy.) But he never lost weight. Sickness can definitely cause weight loss, and that can be okay, but I don't want you to think that's normal. Weight gain slowing almost to nothing? Normal. Weight loss? Not normal. Now, a little bit isn't a big deal, but you don't want her to keep losing. I would keep working on supplementing with formula and calorie-dense solids.

My milk supply went away sooner than the second trimester this time - I think it was pretty gone by about 8 weeks in. But it probably started out lower than your daughter's, because Joe was so much older and nursing pretty infrequently to begin with.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hello! I am sorry to hear that your daughter's milk has dried up, however my son will be a year January 13th and the only thing I have found he will drink besides my milk is Organic Coconut milk. You can buy it in the organic section. It comes in a half gallon like regular milk, don't get the stuff off the shelf, it's packaged like regular milk is. It comes in regular, unsweetened and my boy's favorite, vanilla. It's tasty and gives them some nutrition without upsetting their stomach, which was what I didn't want with regular cow's milk.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Honey would not cause an allergic reaction, the danger with honey is botulism. Check out that link and see if you think you need to speak with a doc about it, but it doesn't seem likely.

I wouldn't give coconut milk if you saw hives after applying coconut oil. Baby needs some kind of milk, though. I would keep trying formula and if she really won't take that, try other kinds of milks- cow, goat, hemp, flax, rice, soy...there are lots of options. But if baby consistently won't take formula you'll want to make sure she is getting a variety of solids because none of those replacement milks has the complete nutrition breastmilk or formula would give.

I don't know exactly how many calories a one year old needs, but I would definitely pay close attention to baby's weight, especially if baby has already lost some. That might be something you should talk to the doctor about and maybe you could speak with a dietitian or nutritionist.

My son has chronic eczema, the only thing we put on him is Eucerin or Aquaphor. Have you tried different soaps or detergents?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous