Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DD's milk is drying up all on it's own.

Default DD's milk is drying up all on it's own.

Hi girls,

My DD are I are both so sad at the thought of her having to stop nursing, however, she was going to begin weaning in a little over 1 month anyhow.

Today, she went to pump and the first attempt she was only able to get 4 or 5 drops...literally. Not even close to one ounce. The second attempt, she got approx 1/2 of 1 ounce. The third attempt (these all with a couple of hours or more in between) was back to only drops.

Here is what has been going on.
    For the past several weeks, the baby (almost 11 months old now) has been waking up every single hour to nurse. Apparently the past few nights have been beyond insane. My DD is getting almost no sleep. It's just awful.

Because they are temporarily living with her sister in law and her dh they cannot do any training as far as letting her cry herself to sleep, etc. It is just not possible because of their living situation.

DD has tried over and again to give baby formula in the past few weeks just to supplement (since she's been having so much trouble with baby being unsatisfied and perhaps unsatiated (is that a word? ha). Baby refuses to take it. I do mean REFUSES!

What in the world should she do. Even I am at a loss for advice to give her right now. I don't know what she should do.

The Pediatrician, of course, is the one who told her, early on, to stop breastfeeding. She did not listen, for which I am proud! She went for another well-baby yesterday and when DD told Dr. what she is eating which is a little bit of baby food and the rest all breast-milk, he almost scolded her and told her that the baby should be eating absolutely everything they do with the exception of eggs. I was infuriated when she told me that. REALLY Dr.??? So, just dive right in? Ugghh!!
    Her little tummy, whether fully developed or not, is certainly not used to all of this. I can only imagine what a fiasco it would be if she were to do what he is suggesting.

Though many of you will probably disagree, I don't see any need for a baby to have dairy products of any kind, nor meat.
    Like I heard someone once say... "Why is it that Cows wean their calves from all milk after a few months of suckling, but we humans for some reason, not only drink milk for a species other than our own, BUT we continue to drink it for life."

Anyhow, I would really really love to send my DD your responses. She is utterly exhausted and overwhelmed about what to and how to do this and what the next step should be.

Thanks so much you all,

Mindy

Default Re: DD's milk is drying up all on it's o

Is it possible that with all that night nursing, your daughter's supply is actually fine to great, but there's just none leftover for the pump? At eleven months, with a baby nursing frequently at night, my first thought is not a problem with supply, but rather a teething baby who is having a hard time sleeping! (Maybe try some pain-relief for baby at night.)

It's pretty normal at almost a year that a mom used to nursing her baby and not used to pumping frequently doesn't respond much to the pump. The pump is not a good measure of supply. Her supply sounds fine (baby is gaining weight, nursing frequently, etc.).

You're not going to find many mamas here who will push solids early or recommend letting a young baby cry it out at night.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oh, wait, I see your other post about her being pregnant! Yes, that does unfortunately cause a drop in supply for most women. Drat. I was hoping that this was a case of "thinking that supply was gone" rather than actually gone. And there's nothing you can do about it - it's hormonal, not supply & demand-based. As far as what to supplement with, you are pretty close to the year mark, so (it's up to you), but you COULD try cow's milk to see if that is accepted better than formula. The taste is more similar to breastmilk. Formula tastes icky.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 15th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

The night waking probably has nothing to do with her milk drying up. It's probably her teeth. Her first year molars are probably breaking. She should let her nurse on demand as usual and if she is really at her breaking point she should does her with motrin before putting her down. If she gets at least a 3hour stretch back she know that is was PAIN waking her child up. And it's fresh breastmilk she wants because her milk has oxcytocin in it which helps with the pain. If she has not been regularly pumping there is not reason to think at 11months she would get a yield at this point from pumping. I breastfed my son exclusively with no supplements but was home with him and by 8 months was no longer pumping at all and when I went for a spa day I left him for 8hours with my cousin and had to pump for three days to get 4oz. So I DO NOT think if she has been exclusively breastfeeding that her milk is drying up. I think she makes exactly enough for her child and her child's increased night wakings are due to the pain of having huge teeth beginning to poke huge holes in her gums. Formula will not help. There is not oxcytocin in it. We all go through it around the year point. Those molars are a bear. And they usually take 6-8weeks to break. Use motrin to get 3 hours stretches back. When your child is waking every 45minutes to every hour an a half a 3 hour stretch feels like a dream. Ask me how I know.

Way too lazy for formula

I don't see that other post. But if she is pregnant how far along is she? I still vote teeth if the child is nursing all night.

Way too lazy for formula

Pregnancy will do that, and there isn't a whole lot anyone can do about it. The baby will nurse MORE, even all night, trying to bring it back. But it won't work, as supply during pregnancy is totally hormone-driven.

Sleep training doesn't work
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

BIG Oops! I totally forgot to mention a vital piece of information here. DD is a little over 3 months pregnant. I guess I was assuming you all knew that from my other posts, but realized...duh...not everyone has read them. I do see that some of you knew. Sorry bout that.

Here's the think about pumping....She was able, just 1 week ago to sit down and within 3 minutes or so had 4 ounces and now nothing. It is true that she does not pump regularly, however, to get 4 ounces so quickly like that and nothing yesterday in 3 separate attempts (that were spread out throughout the day) was quite concerning.

Do you all really think that even though nothing is coming out via pumping, there is no reason to be alarmed.

Dr. did say that she lost almost 1 pound from last appt. to this. I'm sorry, I don't remember when last appt. was. I have assumed that the weight loss is just because she is crawling now and crawling all over the place. Yes?....No??

Joe's Mom - So, are you saying that this may just be nature taking it's course and that she likely IS drying up?

DJ's Mom - I'd completely forgotten about the 1 year molars. She is working very hard on trying to get her 2nd front tooth to come through right now. Stubborn tooth has been at surface for weeks now. Poor baby! Her gums are so swollen! Regarding the Motrin...my DD so hates giving her any sort of meds and I don't much care for it either, however, at this point, I do believe that I will encourage her to do so as she really IS at her breaking point. As the matter of the fact...baby has been waking each hour for soooo long now that my daughter is even struggling with insomnia in between the waking hours. Probably anxiety, I imagine.

Susan - Being that supply is hormone driven right now, IS it possible, do you believe, that she COULD be drying up due to hormonal issues?

I am heartbroken at the potentiality that she is drying up. I am a HUGE advocate of nursing as is my DD. I love love love nursing. It is so very beautiful to me. Anyhow, she will soon have another to nurse.

Ok, now to everyone - IF we do discover that she IS, in fact, drying up, what say you about what she should start feeding her? How much is enough?

What would a balanced diet for her age be without the breastmilk???? She is almost 11 months.

Thank you, you sweet ladies!,

Mindy

She should start supplementing with formula until her baby is a year. And really work to get a balance of nutrition from solids into her. There is nothing that can be done if her supply is drying up due to pregnancy. My milk went away completely sometime between the first and second trimesters. She can keep nursing though, without milk, if she wants to and then nurse both her current daughter and her new baby in 6 months.

Try arnica for the teething? It's been working for my LO. My homeopath said to dissolve one tablet in about 16oz of water... and then give baby a few drops (or a sip or two etc)... as teething pain occurs.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

While ordinarily, women do not just "dry up," and a mom who is nursing frequently almost always has milk, no matter what the pump is telling her, there is one MAJOR exception to that. Pregnancy does dry up most women's supply. It may not completely dry it up, but for many women, it does. So it is very very possible that in fact, your daughter's milk is drying up. It is sad! I'm sorry. This is one aspect about getting pregnant that I feel like a lot of women are not really warned about (partly because breastfeeding is still not the norm in our culture). It can cut short your nursing relationship with your older child, unfortunately. Sorry!

You can call me JoMo!