Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike leading to weaning HELP!

Default Nursing strike leading to weaning HELP!

8 days ago my 14 month old developed a cold with severe congestion. She had been nursing 5-6 times a day (including at least twice at night). She immediately stopped nursing, and I have been pumping to keep up my supply. After 2 days and being up all night screaming, we took her in and she was diagnosed with an ear infection. She was given antibiotics and ibuprofen for the pain. She still refused to nurse. A few days ago she started signing milk to me, making me think she was interested in nursing again. I have gotten her to the point where she will let me hold her in a nursing position but turns away and cries if I try to offer the breast or get it anywhere near her mouth. I have tried every tip and trick I can find. I'm really not ready for her to wean, so is there anything else I can do to persuade her to nurse again? Or is this the end for us?

Default Re: Nursing strike leading to weaning HE

For some momma-baby pairs, a nursing strike is the end of breastfeeding, and for others not. Just keep trying, mama! Something may click for your LO, and remind her just what she liked about nursing. This link has some useful tips: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!
    Has anyone ever had a baby over a year old go on a nursing strike for more than a week and still return to nursing?

We had 4 strikes with DD2, the first at 9 mths, 2nd at 1 yr, 3rd at 15 mths and 4th at 18 mths. They all lasted about 2 weeks, not more than 17 days and each time she came back. I pumped and she drank it with her straw cup. The first three were not complete strikes, she owuld nurse for about 2 minutes in the morning. The last was nothing at all and I really thought that was it. I just kept offering at her normal times and stopped when she got mad. I also got her to kiss the "nummies" as she calls them. That got her more comfortable. She is still nursing today at 25 mths so please don't give up. Just keep pumping and casually offering. Let me know if you have any more questions, I know how hard it can be!

Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Thank you!
    Has anyone ever had a baby over a year old go on a nursing strike for more than a week and still return to nursing?
    I don't have personal experience with nursing strikes but it would be extremely odd for a child of any age to suddenly stop nursing cold turkey and that is how they choose to wean. Certainly, at this age, this is a classic nursing strike, not weaning, and sometimes those can go on for weeks as abaker89 describes. It's a very stressful time for mom and baby! The article mommal posted has lots of good suggestions, one that seems ot help a lot, is to nurse when baby is asleep or very drowsy (just falling asleep or just waking.)

DS was a chronic striker. When he was 17 mo he went on strike for 10 days b/c of his teeth (went from 10-12 times/day to 1-2). I let my supply drop, and he came back and so did my milk. Nursed for 2 more years after that. One strike ended when we were outside on the swing, someone we never nursed. Nursing asleep (or almost) and in a different position have been helpful for me ending strikes. Could be her ears still hurt when she's in the nursing position.

Just reading this post as I am having similar issues. She's only nursed 2 times all week and the last time was Tuesday bedtime (it's now Friday). I have a post on it in this forum. She just bites me whenever she latches on. Did your baby get over the strike? Please update us. Thanks