Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue tie and supply issues 10 day old

Default Tongue tie and supply issues 10 day old

If anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end here and starting to feel hopeless as to if I will ever breastfeed my baby.

My baby is 10 days old. We didn't get a good start to breastfeeding. He was in the NICU for 3 days and fed supplement formula and given a pacifier. He also has a tongue tie that didn't get diagnosed until 8 days old which seems to prevent him from getting anything out of my breasts (he doesn't swallow when nursing and has no weight change).

He got his tongue tie fixed today by cauterization. His upper frenulum may also be a problem, but I haven't found a doctor to take it seriously yet. I tried breast feeding afterwards but he still isn't swallowing. We have some tongue excersizes to do with him, but haven't been able to get him to stick out his tongue, though he does seem to be taking a bottle differently and moving his tongue inside his mouth more. I read so many places that you can nurse normally right after a frenectomy, is it alright that we still have no swallowing and my nipple comes out of his mouth lopsided? Should I just expect him to take a few days?

Secondly, I'm worried about my supply. I've been letting him breastfeed (though he doesn't get much if anything), giving expressed milk from a bottle, then giving formula if he's still hungry. After he eats, I pump using a medela symphony for the next feeding. On a good pumping session, I can get 50-60 ml, but most of the time I'm only getting 30-40 ml. I'm pumping every 3-4 hours, why am I making so little?

I hate this so much. I hate hearing my baby cry because he's hungry and I can't feed him myself. I hate that we can't bond with solely breastfeeding. I really need help.

Default Re: Tongue tie and supply issues 10 day

Welcome, mama, and congratulations on the new baby! I am sorry nursing him has been such a battle so far. But please don't feel alone- many of us have been in your shoes and gone on to breastfeed and bond successfully. Believe me when I say that the bond will come whether you can exclusively breastfeed or not. I know breastfeeding gets marketed as this amazing bonding experience- and it is that for some moms. But for others, breastfeeding is like going to war- it's hard, it's scary, even painful- but it produces an unshakeable bond anyway.

I think the first thing you do should be to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. It sounds like you have 3 issues: first, your baby's latch sounds like it is a bit shallow (which is why your nipple is misshapen when it comes out of baby's mouth), second, it sounds like your baby is having issues with sucking and breastfeeding as opposed to simply latching on despite the frenulectomy, and third, it sounds like you might need some help with troubleshooting your pumping routine. 50-60 ml (around 2 oz) of output is actually quite normal for a new mom, but 30-40 ml (around 1 oz) is on the low side.

Things to consider when troubleshooting pumping:
    - breast shields- are they properly fitted?
    - pump brand- not an issue for you since you're using a Symphony
    - pump intensity- are you turning the suction up high enough?
    - pump frequency- when trying to increase or maintain supply, you want to aim to pump very frequently. For me that mevery pumping every 2 hours during the day and probably every 3 at night, and always pumping after nursing. It's a hard routine to keep up but it works!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"