Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to hold/help baby while choking!?

Exclamation How to hold/help baby while choking!?

I don't seem to have an oversupply, but do have an over active letdown (mostly on my left side) I will express a little from the squirter, and try to recline. It's not a huge problem but I really worry when he is choking so badly he has a hard time catching his breath or breathing for a few seconds.
    How can I help him/hold him while he chokes? I also worry about him aspirating milk.
    Help!

Default Re: How to hold/help baby while choking!

Just sit him upright on your lap for a moment. My cleft baby was a prime candidate for aspiration pneumonia, unlike your very healthy baby, and that is what the cleft team suggested. You'll be fine
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had the same issue (and periodically do). Best thing I found was to recline WAY back or if I was having a particularly heavy let down, detach DD2 and let it spray/run in a nursing pad or cloth diaper until the flow calms down. Agree with pp, if your LO does get choked, sit him up and let him catch his breath. He'll cough a bit, but be fine!

I agree: Nursing in a more reclined position may help as the OALD will be working against gravity. And if your baby seems to be sputtering, just give him a second upright. Before you know it, your baby will grow into your OALD and will enjoy the fast flow.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.