Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will I ever heal?

Default Re: Will I ever heal?

I wore these when my nipples were trashed. They were a lifesaver, because I could have clothing on but my poor boobies had air to heal. They also sell them at Babies R Us. Not sure about Target.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-TheraSh.../dp/B0020OWVDS

I hope it gets better soon.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice! I'm so determined to keep at this, but it's hard sometimes, so it's a good thing I'm so hard-headed about continuing despite obstacles. It certainly helps to know that it will get easier. I feel like things are slowly getting better...
    I like the water balloon image, I'll definitely try the washcloth trick--he eats for such an awfully long time and he's so darn heavy (he's already gained over 3 lbs from his 8lb 2oz birthweight --he's not suffering any) that sounds easier than holding the breast with my hand the whole time. And I'll ask the in-laws about grabbing me some polysporin, too.

Ok, an update:
    the latch is improving every time. the fissures are healing, now down to about half their original size. yay!

BUT... he's being really weird about the initial latch. he opens his mouth lovely and wide now, but then he spits out the nipple when i bring him on. he makes a face like he hates it, even if he's ravenously hungry. this makes me sad, and him frustrated. what could be going on?

How awesome that the cracks are healing! That's wonderful news!

Your baby's behavior sounds like one of those puzzling things young babies do as they figure out how to nurse. Sometimes they just have trouble coordinating their frustration, their hunger, and their latching and suckling skills all at the same time. But your baby will figure it out- just be patient! It's not a rejection of you or of the wonderful nutrition and mothering you are providing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I got the medela shells and they were life savers. I had horrible cracked nipples, and when I got those I wore them day and night for a week, maybe more. I also put the polysporin and lanolin on after every feeding. The left side was much worse and I would feed him only on the right for a while and pump the left, but I see you said pumping hurts All this really helped to heal my sore, bleeding nipples.

I also had really bad OALD on my left side, the side that was way more mangled. I always ALWAYS fed my son in football with him almost sitting up, facing toward my back with his feet down near my hip (does that make sense). T|his was the only way he could cope with the crazy flow. He was better on the right side as it was more steady.

One last thing I did to help with the pulling and fussing due to OALD was i would latch him on while on the couch, then lean back with his body wedged against the back of the couch and resting on me. I was almost laying down but not quite. He would turn his head to the side away from the couch, eat calmly, then fall asleep. This technique took me a while to get the hang of but once I did it was a god send for about a month, especially at night when I was super tired.

He prefers my OALD left side now hahaha. Good luck mama, those days were hard.

ETA: I used to roll a receiving blanket up and prop it under my ginormous boobs to hold them up.

YAY!
    I am now "udderly" healed up! And no more pain during nursing to boot! Thanks ladies for all the help/advice/moral support.
    So for other mamas out there wondering how long it takes for cracked nipples to heal, for me it was 7 weeks, but really more like 2 weeks once I actually started working constantly to fix the shallow latch problem/ but also maybe baby's mouth just got bigger--he's HUGE!
    And if anyone else is in need of any humor to help get through the nipple pain, this is my observation: They say spitting up is more of a laundry problem than a health problem, and this is especially true when baby spits up on your nice, newly-folded pile of t-shirts, and manages to hit every single one.

Yay! That is so wonderful to hear! Well, except the part about the t-shirts.

You should give yourself a huge pat on the back, mama. You did so much hard work to make this happen, and no-one would ever have faulted you for throwing in the towel. I hope you'll stick around the forum and encourage other moms with your story!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You should give yourself a huge pat on the back, mama. You did so much hard work to make this happen, and no-one would ever have faulted you for throwing in the towel. I hope you'll stick around the forum and encourage other moms with your story!

Thank you for coming back with your success story! I never get tired of happy endings. I hope your breastfeeding relationship will be long and lovely. You earned it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sometimes they do need to grow and learn how to nurse too.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby