Re: Will I ever heal?
Welcome mama! I am sorry you're having such a rough time. Believe me when I say that even the worst cracked nipples will eventually heal, so don't worry that your nipples are going to be like this forever, or even that they will be like this for your entire breastfeeding journey.
Healing cracks depends on figuring out what is causing them. There are 2 major reasons that moms get cracked:
1. A poor latch
2. An infectious agent, either thrush (a yeast infection of the breast and of baby's oral cavity) or bacteria
Here are some questions for you which may help determine what is causing the cracks:
1. When your baby unlatches, what shape are your nipples? Are the symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/wedged/ridged like new lipsticks?
2. When do you experience the most pain? At the beginning of the feeding, when baby first latches on, throughout the feeding, at the very end of the feeding, or after the feeding is over?
3. Have you or baby had a recent course of antibiotics, perhaps during birth for GBS?
4. Have you or baby experienced a yeast infection anywhere on your bodies? Vaginal yeast infection, yeast diaper rash?
5. How would you describe your cracks: is there one large crack per nipple, or multiple slit-like cracks which may radiate around the nipple and even extend onto the areola?
6. Have you noticed any of the following: nipples appear more pink or red than normal, white patches of skin, flaking or dry skin, nipples turn white or purple after nursing?
7. Have you experienced any burning or itching sensations?
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"