Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply Decreasing via pump...

Default Milk Supply Decreasing via pump...

I am nursing my 4th child who just turned 11 months. He has been exclusively fed
    BM and began homemade solids 2 months ago. Without the aid of Fenugreek, my
    pumped supply is diminishing rapidly. This time a few weeks ago, I was pumping
    7-8 ounces every 4 hours when I was away from him. Now, I am pumping approx-
    imately 2 ounces every 4-5 hours. I do feed him on demand when I am home and he seems satisfied, however, he is very distracted and his nursing sessions are shorter..We are going out of town for 4 days and I am very nervous he will use my freezer stash but I won't be able to replace it (pumping every 4 hours when we are away).
    He is enjoying a little more food and I believe this may be his way of weaning- I just feel like he is too young to self-wean. I have heard oatmeal is a good food to help
    increase supply- and I already use Fenugreek. Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Milk Supply Decreasing via pump...

When you really want to increase supply the absolute best thing you can do is to pump or nurse more often. Supplements are nice, but they don't do near as much for you as frequent and thorough milk removal. I'd suggest doing the following:
    - Check your pump. After months of heavy use, it may be a bit worn out and may need new membranes, or even a new motor.
    - Start pumping every 2-3 hours instead of every 4.
    - Pump after you nurse your baby- even if nothing is coming out the additional stimulation will help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If he uses up your freezer stash and you can't replace all of it, that should be ok. I might worry that he might not nurse anymore when you get back from your trip, but you never know. He's 11 months old and soon he'll be a year old, so you won't have to worry about pumping milk for him while you're at work. You can nurse on demand when together and stop pumping at a year, if you want to.

I did increase the amount of times I pump- the frequency- and it seems to be increasing slowly but surely.... Thank you...