Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to express/how often?!

Default How much to express/how often?!

I'm about to start expressing again in time for Xmas so I can have a few drinks Xmas day. I'll prob need to express for 2 feeds.
    We're on two feeds a day as my boo is 11months old. I've hand expressed before and usually had to express 15 mls a day over a week or two to get a feed due to having fibromyalgia (it can be quite tiring).
    But I've now managed to loan an electric pump and wondered what was the best and quickest way to get a full fee (I've now idea how much she now drinks!), without giving myself too much of a full breast during the day/excess milk production type issue. I've had a few problems in the past with sreness and full ducts etc and so was thinking expressing massively over 2 days to get a feed could be the worst thing, but I also don't want to be expressing for ever. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Default Re: How much to express/how often?!

If you are only nursing twice a day you may be able to have a drink or two and still nurse if there is enough time (for the alcohol to work out of your system).
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

As long as you pace yourself and don't down the two drinks one after another within a short period of time, I don't think i'd bother with pump and dump.

but maybe that's just me
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Thanks ladies.
    I need to pump anyway, without the drinkies complications and I'm just not sure how best to do it. I don't want to end up pumping like mad for a few days and then being engorged!

I would try maybe pumping twice a day, once in between feedings and once before you go to bed. I wouldnt worry about engorgement, it has been my experience that once you eleminate a session the body adjusts quickly. Also, for the alcohol, in the past I have used test strips for my milk that I purchased from Babies R Us to check it for any residual alcohol before giving it to my lo. I think they were like $14 for 8 strips and you just dip one in the milk and wait 2 minutes to see if it changes color. If nothing else, they give me peace of mind.

Thanks. I'lll maybe try 50ml from each side in evening and see how I go.

Saying that /\, I got nothing last night after her feed and I have no other widows in the day to do it as I'm with her!

I saw your other post. Why do you need to pump? Since you are only nursing twice a day, you could just skip nursing and replace that with whatever else you are feeding her. If the concern is that a caregiver needs to give her something in a bottle, then what about water or whatever other drink (formula??) it is that you have replaced all your nursing sessions with. Your supply is probably fairly low at only 2 nursing sessions per day, so you would probably have to pump at the same time every day between now and when it is you wanted the bottle for. That seems very frustrating to me. I don't believe that you will get engorged by missing one nursing session. If you do become engorged, you could pump at that point. If you're worried about alcohol, dump it. If it's milk you would give your child, then save it for another time.

My daughter is 11 months old right now too and on the weekends we nurse probably 8ish times a day (including overnight). Some sessions are really short. Some are longer. I was pumping at work, but I stopped last week and I didn't get engorged at all yesterday. So that's why I think you could safely skip pumping at this point.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months