Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 wk old - Growth Spurt Help

Default 3 wk old - Growth Spurt Help

Hi ladies, my little boy is 3 weeks old, most certainly going thru a growth spurt. Has been nursing every 2 hours during the day and today has nursed almost non stop from 5:30 pm and has not really wanted to stop ... And is currently nursing at 11 pm as I type this!

He will nurse so much sometimes that he will open his mouth and let a bunch of milk fall out. Or he will nurse to the point that he spits up the milk! I suspect there is no room left in his stomach. Are these behaviors normal?

Typically I only give him on breast per nursing session.

Oh and also every time he nurses it takes him 45 mins up to 70 or 80 mins....8-9 times a day! Literally all I do all day is nurse!

Default Re: 3 wk old - Growth Spurt Help

Just now he nursed for 15 mins and then when I went to burp him a ton of milk leaked out of his mouth...however he is eager to latch on and keep eating...not just sucking. He does take a paci, but if I give it to him when he's hungry he gets very mad.

Also today he has has 6 poop and 8 pee diapers!

He missed a nap this afternoon and should be exhausted and want to sleep but all he wants to do is nurse!

Totally, utterly NORMAL. You get through it by getting comfortable and nursing. It usually passes in a few days. There will be another one at 6 weeks and around 12 weeks.

Just keep going. If he's really hungry, try changing sides and just go back and forth, back and forth.

If you haven't learned to nurse laying down, now is a good time to do so
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

All very normal. Sometimes when mama has been using only one breast per feeding, she eventually needs to transition to using both breasts. This often happens around the time the baby goes through a growth spurt.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good to know...last night I did end up offering the other breast and he immediately nursed contently. Does that mean I had run out of milk on the initial side?

Also after he nursed on both sides he spit up a considerable amount. It's almost like he is trying to eat more than what fits in his stomach...sorry if that sounds ignorant! (he normally does not spit up unless he insists on a LONG feeding). What does this mean?

It just means maybe it wasnt fast enough for him on the one side. Spitting could be because was overfull. Don't worry about it. All babies spit to sme extent.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

and being overfull is not a big deal. Babies have to learn to read their own cues, and stop nursing when they are full. It sometimes takes them a little while to learn how to stop sucking at just the right time, but be patient: your baby will figure it out eventually.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"