Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk?

Default Coconut milk?

Hello...it's been awhile since I've logged on, but that just means that me and my little Ainsley have been doing well I am proud to say that she is still nursing at 10 months old, and has never had any formula!

I'm posting this question because I have recently started going back to work, and my freezer supply is almost diminished now. My LO only needs one bottle of milk 5 days a week when I'm not there to nurse her. I have started pumping again and haven't been able to produce as much as I used to I really, really, REALLY don't want to give her formula, and have been researching coconut milk and want to see other's opinions on it.

I kind of don't want to give her cow's milk, as my family doesn't drink it (no allergies, just for our health.) We drink almond milk instead. Now, almonds are nuts so I know that she can't have that until she's at least 1. I have been researching coconut milk because of the high fat content, and I think it's comparable (if not better) than whole cow's milk.

I'm kinda afraid to ask the pedi about it, just because she doesn't seem pro breastfeeding much-every time I go in for Ainsley's checkup she seems genuinely surprised that I'm still nursing. For some reason I think she'll look at me like I'm crazy if I suggest coconut milk (she told me it was "weird" to give my baby avocado as a first food)

Any thoughts? The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that Ainsley is allergic to bananas (we're pretty sure-she gets a rosy rash on her cheeks when she eats them) and I've read that most people who are allergic to bananas are allergic to latex. I recently read that some people with latex allergies can be allergic to coconuts, although rare.
    Mommy to Violet, 05/31/07
    Mommy to Ainsley, 02/12/11

Default Re: Coconut milk?

Jack started getting little sips of coconut milk here and there before 10 months. They never replaced a nursing session, and were mostly in sippy cups to practice. However, he has no known allergies to anything we have tried. I am not sure how common coconut allergies are. However, if I had to choose between formula, whole milk, and coconut milk, I would most likely choose the coconut. That's just me though. Do what you think is best.
    I'm Sarah. Mom to Emily (1/27/05) and Jack (12/29/10)
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

I'd pick the formula over the coconut milk. When you're choosing a substitute for breastmilk, formula comes closest in terms of replicating the right balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate. And when a baby is under a year and their brains are growing faster than they ever will again, I think it's important to err on the side of caution when giving them the nutritional tools they need to fulfill their potential.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

. I would do formula at that age as well.

Coconut milk is great as a food but can act as a laxative so that much per day could definitely have some GI effects. Coconut milk is also low in calcium, cholesterol, protein, and most vitamins compared to both breast milk and formula.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

i agree w/ the moms who advise using a breastmilk substitute, aka formula if you can not express enough milk to leave for your LO.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Yep. It's not a good replacement food before the year point. And if you plan to still nurse her after a year you won't have to replace your milk with anything. So for now, for 8 more weeks I'd either add in a pumping session somewhere else, At home at nights or on the weekends, or I'd give her a bottle a day of formula.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the replies...I just came across this article this morning:
    http://evenstaronline.com/articles/coconut.html

Interesting about the Lauric Acid!

"Coconut milk is close to human breast milk in its pH, and fat and nutrient content. Coconut milk is a good source of calcium, manganese, selenium, zinc and iron. Coconut water measures the same pH as human blood.Coconut milk and coconut oil contains lauric acid (whose only other abundant source in nature is human breast milk)."
    Mommy to Violet, 05/31/07
    Mommy to Ainsley, 02/12/11

Coconut milk states on every container it should NOT be used as an infant milk substitute. I'd go with formula as well.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Don't know about that article, although I think coconut milk is great and give my 18-mo DD coconut water instead of juice all the time. However, based on nutrition data coconut milk has
    half the calcium,
    none of the cholesterol - which is required and CRUCIAL for healthy brain development,
    no Vit A,
    half the Vit C,
    NO Vit D, Vit K, or B12, or riboflavin,
    a lot more of most of the non calcium minerals some of which can be toxic if you ingest too much,
    a LOT more calories and saturated fats (by like 4-fold - over 500 calories in ONE 8-oz cup of coconut milk :shock),
    none of the Omega-3 fatty acids, and
    only 2/3 of the Omega-6 fatty acids

compared to human breast milk. That doesn't even go into the altered amino acid profiles in the two liquids and the altered carb-fat-protein ratios (my bad, there is actually not less protein in coconut milk but the C-F-P ratio is completely different and the TYPE of proteins are different - you can look more into all of this from the links below). I saw that too about Lauric acid, but that is only one component of both liquids. IMO when you really look at the data they are pretty differing liquids when considered as a whole. A lot of clinical research has been done on formula so that you can be sure that it will meet your baby's essential needs and not cause nutritional imbalances. Coconut milk is an unknown quanity in that regard and based on all the differences I'd personally prefer to feed formula as a BM substitute at the age you are talking about.

Breast Milk
    Coconut Milk
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

also, i'm curious as to what type of coconut milk you have in mind. the prepared coconut milk drinks such as So Delicious brand? those have some added ingredients such as guar gum and other stuff. i wonder if these added ingredients would also have an impact on your LO's digestion somehow. as for the coconut milk that comes straight from a can (pure coconut milk), it is SUPER HIGH in saturated fat.

i understand your desire to give your LO something that seems more natural than formula... but perhaps formula is getting unfairly vilified to the point that moms are rejecting it when in fact it would be an appropriate resource in certain cases. mind you, my LO never had a drop of formula and i certainly hope she won't need it, but sometimes there's such an anti-formula bias that it seems worrisome in certain situations.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one