Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gumming it instead of sucking

Default Re: gumming it instead of sucking

Hi: i agree with everything MommaL has said. I also want to encourage you: you can totally teach a slow sucker how to do it! Check for tongue tie, too--it's very common and not always obvious. And it's no big deal to have it cut! Just keep being patient and persistant and you guys will geti it worked out.

How's your supply? That can be an issue with a slow-to-start nurser.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I haven't had him checked specifically for T-T but LC didn't mention it either. She only focused on DS's weight loss and getting more food in him. I have a supplemental feeding system now but it only works if he sucks which is my whole problem with him. We had to feed him via syringe tonight because he had been on and off me for over 2 hours and he wasn't sucking enough to keep the SFS going (the formula was just sitting in the tube, i could see the amount in the jar was not going down). It took 2 ounces (6 syringes) for him to quit crying.

I'm so sorry you're having such difficulty. It's so hard to hear your baby cry bc he's hungry! A syringe is a great solution until you're able to address the broader problem -- good thinking!

I think you shd try another lc or a lll leader, too. I had to work with several to get all of my issues addressed. Be pushy about the sucking problem! If they tell you its not tongue tie, make them tell you how they know, and ask them if they've ever seen subtle cases of it. This is a major health issue for your son.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tonguetie.html

Are you pumping also? If the sucking isn't working, your supply may pay for it. RENT A HOSPITAL GRADE PUMP. i cant stress thst strongly enough. Do not try to establish a supply with a pump you can buy in a shop. Your lc may have one you can rent, or will at least know where to get one. If you pump to establish, you'll be able to feed him your own milk instead of formula, which is the whole goal here, esp early on when you can make such amazing milk.

Hugs!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!