Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He almost bit my nipple off!

Default He almost bit my nipple off!

okay, not really....

but this was my traumatic event last night.

My son fell asleep at my breast and if he ever accidentally clenches down in his sleep it is around my areola and doesn't really bother me.

The past few weeks he will occasionally start slipping off toward the end of the nipple and then his teeth will bite down. THIS HURTS

Last night was no exception. He did this, but it was so bad I let out a yelp. He halfway woke up and was disoriented so he bit down as hard as he could (he was shaking he was biting it so hard) after about 10 seconds he woke up enough and was totally confused on why i was crying (I'm not a crier when I get hurt!)

I felt bad, and my husband took him to comfort him and I got a look at a pretty deep puncture wound in my nipple. It was bleeding and I cleaned it. It feels better today (I'm going to skip nursing that side for a couple of days)

has this happened to anyone else? It was scary!
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

Default Re: He almost bit my nipple off!

My daughter has done the same thing. Then if I try to take her off the breast while she is sleeping she wakes up and we end up starting all over. I have no clue what the solution is. I would love input from other moms though. It also doesn't help that she is getting her molars and teething.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you to.

I really thought he bit my nipple off. Does yours hurt that bad, too?

Ouch, mama! That must be intensely painful. When I had bad cracks my LC suggested using a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment on them to combat inflammation, pain and infection. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied with a clean finger. I hope you feel better soon!

Oh- and if you're going to skip nursing on that side, do you have a plan in case you end up engorged? Pump, hand express?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Ouch, mama! That must be intensely painful. When I had bad cracks my LC suggested using a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment on them to combat inflammation, pain and infection. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied with a clean finger. I hope you feel better soon!

Oh- and if you're going to skip nursing on that side, do you have a plan in case you end up engorged? Pump, hand express?
    Oh thanks! Whew, glad to know I was going it semi correct. I was using cortisone and polysporin (all we have)-

I don't think I'll be engorged. Lately we've been going away on occasional weekend trips and leaving the kids with my parents. I haven't had a problem. They swell a little (which looks lovely ;-) ) but nothing like the engorgement I remember from when he was younger and didn't nurse for over 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jlynne View Post
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you to.

I really thought he bit my nipple off. Does yours hurt that bad, too?
    Yep, she drew blood. But, I do realize that it is not intentional and the pain does go away. Now, I am still trying to get her off the breast while still asleep without her biting or dragging her teeth. One step at a time I guess

You guys are amazing. I don't know how I wouldn't end up yelling (or worse) if that happened. I can't even imagine.

I would have screamed my head off and tried to pry the child's mouth open, I think!

with Mommal about treatment. OWWWWWWWW.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I will say that I now keep a hand near her mouth while she is feeding...if she is falling asleep and begins to close down on me with her teeth I use one finger in the corner of her mouth to take her off. Unfortunately it often wakes her up. She did only draw blood the one time but once was enough

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*azrael499 View Post
    I will say that I now keep a hand near her mouth while she is feeding...if she is falling asleep and begins to close down on me with her teeth I use one finger in the corner of her mouth to take her off. Unfortunately it often wakes her up. She did only draw blood the one time but once was enough
    LOL yeah my one time bloody experience the other night was enough for me too!

I spoke to my mom about this today, she said I did the same thing! She said she would wait for me to start biting down and use her two fingers to pry her nipple out. Every night! (I breastfed until I was 6! my poor mom!)

My mom said it took a little practice but she got so good at it she wouldn't wake me up.

I hope our kids figure out how to not bite us soon- so we don't have to prefect the finger pryer move. ;-)