Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panicking

Wink Panicking

My supply has tanked

I think I am ovulating. Also I've been dieting and lost about 10 lbs in the past month. And my whole family just got over the flu...

The past two nights Dylan has started crying after nursing and not wanted to go to sleep. I thought it was developmental as he's starting to walk. Then tonight after I felt letdown he kept pulling off the breast crying. Very weird. So I tried pumping. Practically nothing was coming out. I got less than an ounce from both breasts combined. I know pump output isn't a great indicator, but I am a person who even now, with a 10 month old, can get 3-4 oz. My poor baby my heart is breaking... I'm power pumping right now. I can't let this be the end.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Default Re: Panicking

So sorry to hear..... Last week I had the same issue and freaked out!!! Sat. She was fussy but Sunday was bad. Slept maybe hour at a time and sucking but not swallowing much.... I pumped and got nothing. I gave her all the pumped milk from the previous days. Took till wend. To return to normal. Not sure if your dieting has anything to do with it but I heard that you don't want to lose more than 1.5lb a week. Hope your milk returns

I think I fixed it. I did a power pump session and ate a bunch of oatmeal. Within a few hours I felt it coming back. He nursed a few times through the night and woke up with a very wet diaper. Whew. He is allergic to milk and other dairy products so the calories he gets from solids are not enough to sustain him for long. In fact, with it being that low and not taking more than 1-2 oz of water a day I was going to have to consider a dairy free formula supplement by morning. It was heartbreaking to even think about!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

That can also be teething behavior.

Oh he is definitely teething and I thought it was that plus some developmental stuff at first.

But not being able to get a letdown and his wet diapers really decreasing was the biggest worry for me.

My guess is that the dieting didn't help. I notice my supply lowers if I'm not drinking enough fluids or getting a reasonable amount of calories. You can diet and lose weight, but 10 lbs is a LOT and to me suggests maybe you had too few calories.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm sure you're right. I have been maintaining supply fine on weight watchers but when the whole family got the flu I was actually going below the points they allot, which includes extra for nursing mothers.

But teething is also an issue. My supply is fine now, it really is. But he latches and sucks for a few minutes and pulls off crying and biting his hand. I gave ibuprofen but sometimes to persuade him to nurse I have to pump till letdown. Even then he tries his best and will swallow for a few minutes before crying again. He nurses well in his sleep though, so I have been doing a couple of dream feeds before I go to bed (we co-sleep). I don't know maybe he's not been removing milk as effectively and that affected my supply too? Because I pumped after he nursed tonight and got 2 more ounces!

Did you take any flu meds? Stuff like Benadryl can kill your milk supply. I've been told that anything that makes your sinuses dry out can make your milk dry up, in general.

Other than that, I would agree that that is maybe too much weight loss all at once. (Though I'm totally jealous. I'm still carrying a few extra pounds myself.)
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Ah, your weight loss was caused by the 'flu! I see. The flu itself, plus associated medications, and not eating and drinking enough (sickness really dehydrates you) - that can DEFINITELY harm your supply. So just take care of yourself, recuperate, and I think you're going to be fine!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

If you were sick, and especially if your baby was sick too and not nursing well, that can cause a reduction in milk supply all by itself.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; December 15th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--