Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever noticed

Default Re: Have you ever noticed

Erin and my husband would get along He has used our kitchen scale for his own home "experiments" on many occasions.

The temperature difference between 40F milk and 70F milk would make negligible difference in density. I am an engineer and we round everything, but the scientist started that trend by making the assumption that we could reasonably use the properties of water. My kitchen scale only gets down to the 1/8th of an ounce anyway.

ETA: maybe if I could read I would have seen this was already pointed out!
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    Erin and my husband would get along He has used our kitchen scale for his own home "experiments" on many occasions.

The temperature difference between 40F milk and 70F milk would make negligible difference in density. I am an engineer and we round everything, but the scientist started that trend by making the assumption that we could reasonably use the properties of water. My kitchen scale only gets down to the 1/8th of an ounce anyway.

ETA: maybe if I could read I would have seen this was already pointed out!
    I think we posted at the same time, so it was more an issue of the fact that we weren't taking turns.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    The difference in density in water from 30 C and 0 C is less than 1%, which, I would expect, is less than the error inherent in a kitchen scale. When I have done this as a lab experiment, both as a student and as a teacher, the students have looked up the density of water at the temperature of the room.

The difference in density with temperature is definitely smaller than the error in filling the bottles.
    You're totally right. It had just occurred to me that a kitchen scale is not nearly precise enough to pick up on that small of a difference. Even on a triple beam, when I've done density labs the range in my students measurements of the density of water is pretty large. Although some of that my have to do with their inability to properly zero a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    You're totally right. It had just occurred to me that a kitchen scale is not nearly precise enough to pick up on that small of a difference. Even on a triple beam, when I've done density labs the range in my students measurements of the density is pretty large. Although some of that my have to do with their inability to properly zero a scale.
    I hate triple beam balances.
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012

I hate triple beam balances.
    Really? I have an old school quadruple beam at home passed down to me from my grandfather, and I LOVE it. But I don't need to use a scale very often. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing for me.

The chem classes here get the fancy digital scales, but us bio losers are stuck with the triple beams.

ETA: And I just went WAY off topic. Sorry...

Really? I have an old school quadruple beam at home passed down to me from my grandfather, and I LOVE it. But I don't need to use a scale very often. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing for me.

The chem classes here get the fancy digital scales, but us bio losers are stuck with the triple beams.
    Pedagogically speaking, the students waste so much time trying to get an accurate weight or don't get an accurate weight, that the point of the lab is often lost.

In chemistry the push to teach more and more microscale, or at least miniscale, makes triple beams almost useless. My 9th graders could probably weigh better by guessing.

ETA: STOP DISTRACTING ME FROM GRADING, YOU EVIL PEOPLE! (And I mean that in the kindest, most attachmenty sort of way.)
    Last edited by @llli*scienceteachermommy; December 14th, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Needed to waste more time

Pedagogically speaking, the students waste so much time trying to get an accurate weight or don't get an accurate weight, that the point of the lab is often lost.

In chemistry the push to teach more and more microscale, or at least miniscale, makes triple beams almost useless. My 9th graders could probably weigh better by guessing.

ETA: STOP DISTRACTING ME FROM GRADING, YOU EVIL PEOPLE! (And I mean that in the kindest, most attachmenty sort of way.)
    The only course I use a scale for is my history of life class and that's only for one lab, but we've never really had any problems. Now that I think of it though I've almost always used triple beam balances as an undergrad and as a TA over way too many years of grad school, so it's not just me out there using old equipment (but I didn't take an excessive number of chem courses either). However, I think our goals are significantly different given our fields. I'm not teaching stoichiometry or anything like that where it is going to matter much if their measurements are off. All I need them to do is estimate some bulk compositions and infer mechanisms from their estimates. It's the illustration of the mechanisms that matters to me, not the measurements themselves.

And I'm procrastinating grading finals myself. I bet I hate grading more than you hate triple beam balances. Every year there is a small part of me that wants to ditch essay questions for multiple choice, but I'll never be able to actually do it. Okay, I'll go now...

I bet I hate grading more than you hate triple beam balances. Every year there is a small part of me that wants to ditch essay questions for multiple choice, but I'll never be able to actually do it. Okay, I'll go now...
    I am with you on that.