Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever noticed

Default Have you ever noticed

That every bottle system and brand has its own ounce measurements?

I noticed this in the past, but it wasn't a big deal since I was nursing and never cared how much milk baby drank. But now, it's kind of frustrating. I pump into Medela bottles, and I put any milk I freeze into a variety of breastmilk bags (I don't pay attention to the markings on the bag but just fill it up to save money). I mark the amount based on what was in the bottle when i pumped. Well, now, the Breastflow bottles are like almost an ounce smaller. So, 4 oz in one of those is almost 5 oz. No wonder I've been at how much more milk Gav has been taking. I'm inadvertently overfeeding him with these new bottles by not paying attention and just filling to what the new ones said instead of going with what I was doing

I also noticed that brand offers 8 oz bottles. NO breastfed baby EVER drinks 8-9 oz in a sitting What a way to undermine a breastfeeding mom.

This makes me think the whole argument of, "I bottlefeed so I know how much milk I'm giving," is bogus. You still only have an approximation based on the brand of bottle you are using :gvibe
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Have you ever noticed

I am still baffled by 8 oz bottles. I just don't get it. If your baby really wants to drink that much (and that pretty never happens in our house) then why not just refill the bottle?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I am still baffled by 8 oz bottles. I just don't get it. If your baby really wants to drink that much (and that pretty never happens in our house) then why not just refill the bottle?
    I really don't think they should be allowed to manufacture anything more than 6 oz. I remember reading that even a FF baby should only get max 6 oz.

And I'm not very precise in my oz measurements, so I didn't notice a difference between the Medela and the Playtex. But Breastflow you almost need to put in more because its nearly impossible to empty.

OT- why am I on LLL forums when I have a project due at midnight. . .

That is odd about the different measurements. I had a little cylinder I always poured my milk into to measure when I was in my measure and record days, which was most of the first year. I guess I always wrote down to the closest cc I could see.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

good points. i kknow in the lab we are only supposed to measure liquid in graduated cylinders because the flasks and beakers are never the same and your volumes wont be correct. makes sense that it would be the same with bottles.

My hospital employer provides us with bottles in our pumping rooms. Well, I had been filling them up with 3.5 oz and sending them to the sitter. Finally decided to start using the Medela 2.5 oz cylinder bottle for better measurements of my milk and realized those bottles were off and I had really been sending 4 oz. Now, I always measure so there is no guess work. Though I am not sure if the Medela bottle is accurate itself but at least I'm being consistent.
    ~DD born 6/7/11
    Successfully and while at work for 1 year. Now we are still till who knows...

I bought some of the 8oz evenflo bottles in a pinch once. I had forgotten bottles to attach to my pump at work so I made an emergency trip to the store, but they only sold the big regular shaped bottles or the small angled bottles, and I didn't want to change brands because I knew the baby like those nipples. Anyway, I found the large bottles handy for storing milk when I was pumping a little daily surplus that I would build up to freeze.

What really baffles me is the 9oz breastflow bottles. Huh? Those have the special nipples for breastfed babies, so one would assume that breast milk is going in there.

If you think the bottle differences are bad, look at the measurements on the storage bags! I dunno about the medela bags, but the lasntinoh are WAAAY off.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

My storage bags are off from bottles, too. Just happened to notice that my bag said approximate ounces on it!!!

One of the classic introductory chemistry lab assignments is to measure water using different pieces of glassware and use the mass of the water measured to determine the accuracy of the glassware. And Erin, I always teach the kids that they have to use graduated cylinders to measure liquids.

Hmmm--I think I know what my day 1 activity will be in chemistry class in January.:LOL
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I must admit...I do have some 8 oz bottles, and I do pump into them. But that is NOT normal to be able to fill them! And I too don't think they should be available with nipples for feeding purposes. But I do love them for storage. I can keep two servings, basically, in one bottle, cutting down on washing. I have even been known to take one such bottle and stick it in my diaper bag, knowing I will use it for two feedings. Awkward to hold though.

But what I don't like is how they make most moms look at them and think a baby has to finish it, so I need to pump that much. It's not possible for most moms. And totally unnecessary for baby.

I think what got me thinking about this was a blog post I read about a mom who decided to EP because she couldn't let go of knowing how much her baby was eating when she nursed. And then I noticed the difference between bottle brands. And the bags. It's all so relative that you still can't be sure, kwim. Best you can do is be consistent.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!