Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stuck in rut??

Default stuck in rut??

I want to start weaning my LO to whole milk during the day,(tired of pumping) But I still want to nurse her when I'm at home with her. What is to early. She get's 2-3 bottles of ebm while i'm away for 10 hours I know they say not till a year but would a month be to early it is just so hard I work construction but I love to bf what should I do?

Default Re: stuck in rut??

Hi there--

So your LO is 11 mos? While I'm no expert (and the experts tell you to wait until they're 12 mos), I was told my my healthcare provider that a little bit of cow's milk is OK. I introduced cow's milk to my son at 11 mos. He drank about 4-6 ounces of that a day, tops. The thing is that he wasn't really that interested in cow's milk, because it just tastes so much different from BM. By the time I got him to take more than the 4-6 ounces, he was 13 months old.

Good luck, and if I were you, I'd check with your doctor about the cow's milk thing. Ours said it was OK, but yours knows your child better, and may have a different suggestion.

Lisa

I agree with the pp. Check with your doc about the cow's milk. Doc may say its totally ok, or he may say that you should try formula for a couple of months. I know some people may hate me for saying that word (the "F" word)...but in this case, it may be better for LO than cow's milk. I don't think cow's milk is all that horrible, I think the point is that it doesn't have as many nutrients as breastmilk...or even formula for that matter. It may depend on how many solids your 11 mos. old actually eats per day, and whether or not he consumes a wide enough variety to consider it a balanced meal for his particular stage of development.

I can't really imagine how you've managed to pump while being a construction worker for 11 months anyway...Hats off to you...that is Awesome!!!

I've only been back to work for 4 months but thanks anyway I really want to avoid formula if I can I mean we made it this far and I really don't want to. I'm just scared to start it, but She will still be nursed3 days out of the week but thanks for the advice I guess it's back to the doctor we go

I guess the real question is whether she can survive with other sources of food (doesn't have to be cow's milk...she just needs the right balance of protein, a good amount of healthy fats (i.e. not just saturated animal fats like in whole milk) during the day when she would normally be getting those bottles. You can always just increase the number of nursings during your hours with her to make up for the nutrition lost by losing the bottles. But, if you're only planning/able to bf for 3 days/wk, then you definitely need to check with a doc about going only to cow's milk. It simply does not have enough of the combination of nutrients and fats in the right balance that a baby her age generally needs (even if it is only for a month, why forgoe the best nutrition she can get? if it's not bm, then formula may be your only option if she doesn't eat enough of the right stuff).

Great for you for being able to nurse, pump, and work!! It's crazy amazing what we can do as moms. Kudos!

Teresa

oops put that wrong. when i'm home at night and three full days of nursing is what i meant to say. But I was told at the daycare she goes to is that bf babies don't go to cow's milk when there weaned, they just stop milk altogether when there weaned. how much of that is true? I'm confused? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ahh, got it. Well, if you're able to nurse evenings/night plus 3 full days, I wouldn't really worry about "replacing" the EBM bottles if she can make it with eating and water. There is no reason to go to cow's milk, soy milk, or nut milks (almond milk, etc.) to replace breastmilk. The only challenge might be if she is accustomed to a bottle while you're away to get to sleep or something, or if she refuses to eat if it is not in a bottle. But, I would just start transitioning to a sippy cup (my ds loved the straw kind from 7 mo on, but try a few) with EBM and water. Just avoid juice--it is nutritionally weak and full of sugar and will take her appetite away from real food.

If she does want something to drink and can take a sippy, you don't have to do cow's milk. You can make great, quick homemade smoothies (example:banana, avocado, almond milk). A good reference book (check your library?) is Super Baby Food. Lots of great nutritional ideas, recipies, ideas for portions, etc. It can be a great reference, but don't worry if your kid doesn't eat like hers. Mine doesn't eat anywhere near as much or as regularly, but is perfectly healthy and has a well rounded diet. It really comes down to replacing the good stuff (fat, calcium, protein, etc.) from bm in a well rounded diet, preferably of whole foods (not processed, refined sugar and flour, but 100% whole wheat, etc.).

All that said, lots of people use cow's milk after weaning. But there isn't any real reason to, nutritionally speaking. The protein is waaay more than a baby needs and it hard to break down, etc. I've heard that goat's milk is easier on baby's tummy.

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope that helps.

My kiddos didn't like whole milk after bf but I always wondered if they had been given a bottle if things might have been different. My son did start to drink milk after about 8 or so months -- I would take him to the park and brink along a sippy cup of milk as our only drink. My daughter is nearly 3 and will only drink chocolate milk. I'm not the type to stress too much about what they eat. I agree that if your nursing several times during the night; your baby should be getting plenty of milk. Think of all the babies who sleep 12 hours straight at night. Your baby is probably getting the same amount of milk as they are.