Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gagged & Spit Up/Vomited

Default Gagged & Spit Up/Vomited

My daughter is 7 months old, and for the last month I've tried 2-3 times to get her to eat solids (I've tried mushed up banana & sweet potatos, baby cereal, and jarred pears). Same reaction - gagging, spit back out, and a bewildered face. She shows all other signs of readiness - interested in food, can sit up, pincer grasp, etc.

This is my third kid and I've been involved in LLL since the first, so I know factually that she's OK and that she doesn't really need solids for quite some time. I attended a meeting a few years ago, and the Leader said "LLL recommeds starting solids sometime in the middle of the first year, and if that isn't vague enough to help you then I don't know what is"

Thank God I don't have any supply issues and she's a good nurser. It's just that I didn't encounter this with my first two so I'm looking for a little re-inforcement that she's OK and that it's OK to put away the food masher and the baby spoons for another month or couple of weeks and try again later.

Default Re: Gagged & Spit Up/Vomited

I introduced solids to my DD at 6 months. She gagged on EVERYTHING and the food would just come out. She would even spit up a little breastmilk when she gagged at times. DD is currently ~10 mos. old and she still gags and spits up occasiocally. However, it is a whole lot less. She is chewing her food more instead of just humming while it sits in the middle of her tongue.

I would also recommend looking into Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley. While it makes mealtimes messy, it also makes them fun.

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Default Re: Gagged & Spit Up/Vomited

You're fine, and your baby is fine, mama. Stick the spoons in the drawer. As my ultra-mainstream pediatrician would tell you, right now breastmilk meets all your baby's nutritional needs and until age 1 solids are just for fun and for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.

My second kid had a fairly sensitive gag reflex. IMO, the baby-led approach the PP mentioned was perfect for her. It allowed her to control how much went into her mouth, and also to control where the food landed. I think that for some kids, spoon-feeding can place the food a bit too far back in their mouths, and that can increase the chances of them gagging.