Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Snacks?

Default Snacks?

LO is 6.5 months. We started cereal in the 5th month, and he's loving his foods.

I always BF before offering solids, and he's nursing about 5x (or more) a day. Sometimes, he doesn't want solids, sometimes he does. Mostly, I offer them at breakfast and dinner since that's when the family is all together (hubby and DD are at work/school at lunch).

What I'm noticing is that he seems to want more in between. If I offer breast, he doesn't want it - backs off, squirms, sometimes even BITES (although that's rare).

If I offer him some snacks - cheerios or something - he goes to town.

I don't want to always offer cheerios or crackers or those gerber puff things, but I'm running out of ideas for what to offer him for SNACKS. He likes to feed himself, so I'm looking for foods that are easy for him to grab/hold. He's getting really good at this, and he's basically perfected the pincer.

Suggestions? I should say he has 8 teeth, so chewing isn't really a problem.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Snacks?

My DD likes slivers of bell peppers, avocado, pears, bananas, homemade french fries, smallish heads of broccoli, toast, etc. I've heard of others giving their kiddos frozen blueberries and slivered/shredded meat but we haven't personally introduced these. Granted, these snacks are messier than Cheerios, but they're pretty healthy. It does seem difficult to find healthy snacks you don't have to somewhat prepare(if that's what you're looking for). Hopefully someone can chime in with some other snacks.
    You may also want to check out the book Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley. I'm waiting for my copy from the library to arrive.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

I guess I have a hard time remembering that any solid "snacks" he gets are kind of like dessert - since he's BF for everything else. Those are some great ideas. Thank you!

Foods that we travel with because they have a low sticky-finger risk include Cheerios, Kix, Goldfish crackers, raisins, and fresh blueberries. Frozen/thawed peas and corn are pretty low mess, too. My LO really likes rice with chopped spinach, which can be messy but not sticky or liquidy so cleanup is quick.

ETA: sometimes when we are all hanging out in the living room and DS wants to eat but we don't want to sit at the table with him I will spread a table cloth on the floor and put the coffee table on top of it, then spread a non-sticky snack over the table so DS can graze and play. He enjoys chasing the rolling snacks across the table, and if they fall on the floor the table cloth keeps them from getting covered in carpet fuzz. Gill Rapley suggests mixing up where baby eats, so you could do something similar but just sit baby down on a table cloth and have a "picnic" in the living room (I am assuming your 6.5mo is not doing too much standing yet, so save the coffee table snacks for later)
    Last edited by @llli*sassypants; December 13th, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Ironically, he's starting to stand. He's a quick one this fella. He's been crawling for a few weeks, and in this last week, he's decided to pull himself up on to stuff. He even let go the other night for a brief moment - sheesh!

I hadn't thought about Kix! And I wasn't sure when raisins were "allowed." Raisins are a great thought.

Again, thank you all so much!

I would stick with fruits/veggies/proteins, etc

Blueberries are a great snack - full of antioxidants...
    strawberries/raspberries
    grated cheese
    raw whole apples and pears were (and still are) my ds2 favourite snack. At that age I peeled it and left it whole so that he could only shave off little pieces (less likely to get a chunk from a round apple, ya know?)

Tossing veggies in a steamer is also a quick way to prepare snacks. A handful of peas or chunks of soft sweet potato is fun to eat and good for them as well.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet