Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin D Supplementation

Default Vitamin D Supplementation

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been posted/asked before, but I'm new to the forum.

I have a 5 month old daughter who I've been EBFing. She has had nothing else. Ever. Our ped recommended iron and vitamin D supplements as I don't plan to introduce solids until 6 months (after he pushed us to start at the last visit - just under 5 months).

I will not be supplementing with iron since breastmilk provides the most absorbable form. I have recently read that supplementing actually hinders absorption of the breastmilk iron, etc. Regardless I do not feel this is necesary.

With the vitamin D, I do see a potential need as we live in Northern Michigan and she does not get enough sunlight, nor do I. I ran to Wal-mart to buy some poly-vi-sol as recommended. Ended up buying D-vi-sol. Got it home and looked at all of the additives, etc and returned it. Went to our whole foods store and bought a more natural type of vitamin D drops.

Then after buying them I started thinking more about wanting to supplement myself. I REALLY don't want to give her supplements. I just don't feel right about it. I know that she or I need extra vitamin D, but I don't want her having anything but breastmilk yet.

I should state that I do have a nutrition background, but somehow I've just never come upon this issue specifically, so I'm looking for help. Do any of you supplement yourselves instead of giving your little one D drops? How much do you take? From what I've found thus far, 1000IU is too low to provide baby with enough. I think 2000IU is what I've found the most often and a few studies said 4000IU. I KNOW that vitamin D is a relatively save "vitamin," but I don't know if I feel comfortable taking mega-doses as one lady suggested to me (10,000IU daily!!).

Sorry this got so long, but what do you all think/do??

Default Re: Vitamin D Supplementation

I followed my pedi's advice, and have been giving my LO (6.5 mo) a supplement since he was pretty little. From what I understand, our Vit D stores don't really provide for baby. ?? All I can say is that LO has done just fine!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I gave dd the vit D drops as were in Canada and my family seems to have a higher than avg need for vit D. We've started doing cod liver oil for all of us and I think I'm happier supplementing that than the artificial vit d. Dd's exzema is SO much better. That said, I'm still not sure I'd give clo to an exclusively BFing infant. For yourself, though... what I've been reading suggests that natural ie fish source vit d has a way higher maximum safe dosage. We got some childrens liquid (mildly lemon flavored) and adult capsules from our health food store that are guaranteed toxin (pcb, heavy metal, etc) free. Oh, and fwiw DD loves her clo.

As a side benefit, I don't think I'm getting the winter blues as bad this year. Its early yet, but I think the clo might be helping with that too.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

LLLI came out with this statement on vitamin D, which basically suggests that mothers make sure they have enough vitamin D or take a supplement themselves before supplementing their breastfed babies. It doesn't make any recommendations on how much mothers should take, probably because it depends so much on individual circumstances.

You could consider having a blood test to see what your levels are like now... And then your doctor could probably suggest a dosage for supplementing.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    You could consider having a blood test to see what your levels are like now... And then your doctor could probably suggest a dosage for supplementing.
    I couldn't agree more with this. I figured I was Vit D deficient because I fall under the "at risk" criteria. So I was taking 2,000IU daily when I was pg, only to find out that I was not deficient - my Vit D levels were TOO HIGH from supplementing.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I like the kellymom summary on vitamin D. We decided to supplement because we fit two of the three listed categories (northern climate and mom with history of low vitamin D). We only put the drops in his bottles a couple of times a week and try to get outside during the middle of the day every weekend.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

If you do decide to supplement the one that I felt the best using was made by Carlson labs. It only has Vit. D and Coconut Oil in it
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

My Vitamin D level is super low and our doctor recommended supplementation for both the baby and I. I have to admit I have a hard time remembering, but she said it would be fine to just put a couple of drops on my nipple before he starts feeding- I do not think he even notices. She said low Vitamin D can be linked to all sorts of problems long-term. I understand your hesitation about supplements, but getting a natural vitamin d without a bunch of junk in it would be helpful for most in the northern climates!

The topic of vitamin d supplementation is one I'm not sure why people are so opposed to.

I used carlsen drops, you just put one on your nipple before nursing. We live in the pacific northwest where vitamin d deficiency is very common. Most people (not just babies) do not get enough vitamin d. It is almost impossible to overdose on it as the doses typically used in supplementation are really low. In fact, some people take large doses to supplement the immune system when going through chemotherapy, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*melissawoods; December 13th, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Fix something
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    The topic of vitamin d supplementation is one I'm not sure why people are so opposed to.

I used carlsen drops, you just put one on your nipple before nursing. We live in the pacific northwest where vitamin d deficiency is very common. Most people (not just babies) do not get enough vitamin d. It is almost impossible to overdose on it as the doses typically used in supplementation are really low. In fact, some people take large doses to supplement the immune system when going through chemotherapy, etc.
    I don't get it either. Recent research is showing vitamin D is an important element in many, many different aspects of a person's health. It isn't clear that significant amounts of vitamin D are passed through breast milk, so I don't trust that my vitamin D levels are indicative of what my baby is getting.

Sun exposure is the best way to promote vitamin D synthesis, so I don't worry too much about supplementing late spring through late fall because we are out all the time. However, given where we live, even when we can get out in the winter, it's often pretty overcast and too cold to stay out long enough to get enough uv exposure. For me, it is not worth the potential risks to avoid supplementing. The Carlson drops only require a single drop which can be placed on the nipple as to avoid all of the additives that might cause concern.