Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bitting While Nursing

Exclamation Bitting While Nursing

Hi there

I have a wonderful 8 month old son (9 months on Dec 20) although having a rough start he is a wonderful nurser. However, lately he has been bitting during nursing and it seems to be getting more frequent. I've read up on some tips and when I nurse I make sure to focus on him and let him know I am paying my 100% attention to our nursing session and look at him. I take him off when he seems to be full and may be getting full and bored more inclined to bite. When he does bite I squish his face into my breast (to release the bite) and pull him off and let him chill on the floor for a bit - bitting equals no boob Before I read up on what to do my first reaction was to scream, which startled him and he cried.

None of this seems to be working, the little monkey is still bitting! It's getting to the point where I am tense when I have to nurse him because I am antispating a bite. Sometimes after he bites he laughs and giggles! I really want to nurse him to a year and hopefully beyond, but I can't take many more bites.

Does anyone have other tips? Is this a phase that will end (hopefully soon)? He seems a bit young to understand discipline and putting him of the floor and not nursing isn't making much of a difference. Help, please!

Thank you,

Alyson

Default Re: Bitting While Nursing

That stinks, mama! I think the best thing you can do is to be consistent and keep on doing what you're doing. But maybe a loud "ouch" reaction would be a tool here? If what you're doing just gets giggles and smiles, you might want to up your reaction a bit...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"