Re: Ditched the shield!! Now green poops
Welcome and congrats on the new baby, and also on weaning from the shield! Doing so was the right step, IMO, even if it means you might need to do some further tinkering with your nursing strategy.
A lot of what you're seeing sounds normal. The diaper output is normal, which is great- and it is normal for a baby who is >6 weeks old to go up to a week, sometimes more, in between poops. 5 minute feedings are totally normal when diaper output is normal. They may be faster than you're used to, but that's probably in part because you ditched the shield (shields tend to slow milk flow).
5 minute feedings are normal, but they're at the fast end of normal. Coupled with the green poops, they make me think that you may have an issue with milk oversupply. Oversupply can cause green poops, fast feedings (the more milk there is the easier it is for the baby to get it out), and may cause the baby to dislike comfort nursing (the long periods of non-nutritive sucking that many babies indulge in at the end of a feeding). Do you ever see any of the following:
- frequent breast engorgement or feelings of "fullness"?
- baby coughing, choking, gagging, spluttering, or making a clicking or clucking noise while nursing?
- baby pulling off the breast or clamping down on the nipple while nursing?
- milk streaming or squirting from the breast if the baby pulls off?
- pumping multiple oz of milk with ease (if you are pumping)?
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"