Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning from Pump but not baby

Default Weaning from Pump but not baby

Hi all - I'm new here

I've been nursing my 8.5 month old since birth, and everything has been great. He has started solids and does great with that, and since I work outside the home he has about 10-12 oz a day from a bottle. He nurses 3 times a day (generally) on top of that. I would love to wean from the pump sooner rather than later, probably starting around 11 months (and give myself a month to wean) since it's really tough with my schedule of meetings and student coaching/teaching to pump 3x during the day, which I have to do to keep up with his demand. I would love to keep nursing in the morning and at night for as long as possible, though. I've heard a lot of moms say that it is totally possible even without pumping during the day, but I've heard a couple say that for some moms it just doesn't work. My period came back early (3 months) and I've had supply issues around that time, so I'm worried about my supply once I'm not stimulating it with the pump 3x a day.

Basically, I'm scared, I want all the benefits of extended breastfeeding but of course can't quit my job. If I have to keep pumping, I will, but it would be great if I could wean from that. Any moms out there want to mentor me through this??? Thanks in advance - Colsie

Default Re: Weaning from Pump but not baby

It is possible to pump wean at a year and maintain a supply but not before. Because not only does your milk need to be his primary food source until then (Regardless of solids) but your body needs to be at it that long to have your body maintain a supply. If you pump wean sooner your supply will suffer. When you actually do it you will basically be dropping a session a week for 3 weeks until you don't need to. But after the year point you can trust your body to make enough for just the baby the times of days you want to keep nursing.

Way too lazy for formula

I started pump weaning between 11 and 12 months and was fully pump weaned by about 13 months. So I did it really gradually, started before a year, but didn't complete the process until later. I also felt like pumping was taking away from work and making it hard for me to leave work at a reasonable time (because my job is work-based, not clock-based). So I chose to drop a pumping session at about 11 months, to make things a little easier. I could get home earlier to my baby and actually nurse, for one thing. For a long time I pumped only once a day, which was easier and still gave me a good amount of milk. I didn't completely wean off that once a day pumping until after a year.

My personal problem was that pump weaning was hard because even at 12 months, I was still prone to oversupply and engorgement. So supply was not my issue, but it definitely can be for some. The fact that Joe was a FREQUENT night eater really worked in my favor, because with him nursing 7X or more per night, my supply wasn't going to dwindle even when I cut back during the day (also, he could get by on two bottles a day rather than three at eleven months, given all that night snacking!). But these things are different for every woman. I always recommend that however you pump wean, you do so slowly, watching your supply and your baby. If you go slowly, then the chances are good that if you need to pump more, you can get your supply back. Plus, that way you avoid getting too engorged. It's best if the process takes months, rather than weeks, IMHO.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 12th, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typos

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

But if she worried about her supply disappearing...it's reasonable to think she could be done in weeks without problems....most people a session a week is pretty gradual....

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    But if she worried about her supply disappearing...it's reasonable to think she could be done in weeks without problems....most people a session a week is pretty gradual....
    Good point. I actually had no problem getting down to one. But dropping that last pumping was hard for me and took a long time. I just kept doing it later and later in the day until I could get home without pumping. Doing shorter pumpings only seemed to make me more engorged. Like I had "teased" my breasts into thinking there would be relief and then cut it off! That was just my experience, though.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think it's pretty rare to be dealing with over supply that late though right? Not that people don't suffer from engorgement when pump weaning.....but I always got the impression that you just had an asston of milk in general.

Way too lazy for formula

I think it's pretty rare to be dealing with over supply that late though right? Not that people don't suffer from engorgement when pump weaning.....but I always got the impression that you just had an asston of milk in general.
    Is "asston" an official form of measurement?

Yes, basically. At a year, some women can pump wean very quickly with no issues and no engorgement, but may need to be more worried about supply (especially if their baby is not eating all night long). Others may deal with engorgement, clogged ducts, etc. even at a year with pump weaning. I got a nasty clogged duct, and that also slowed down the process because then I had to pump to resolve it, blah blah blah. But, I did not have to worry about my supply dwindling, because it was still ample.

You can call me JoMo!

Yes. It is. A ton about the size of an ass. And we know those get bigger every year.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes. It is. A ton about the size of an ass. And we know those get bigger every year.
    That's exactly how much milk I made! How did you know?

You can call me JoMo!

I read what you write.

Way too lazy for formula