Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He's adding in nursings?

Default He's adding in nursings?

Hi all!
    My 7.5 mo old was nursing about 4 or 5x a day. Now, he's up to 6 or 7x.

This is fine, but I'm wondering - why?

He's not sick.
    He's probably getting teeth 9 and 10, so I could see that.
    I'm home all day with him, so I don't know if it's him "missing me."

He gets solids for breakfast and dinner. I haven't really added in lunch.
    Sometimes, he snacks on Cheerios or something while we eat lunch in front of him b/c otherwise, he's going nuts trying to get what we're eating.

Is he just hungry?

Any thoughts would be great!

Oh - and he also has started to only take a nap if I nurse him first. We were able to get up from a nap, nurse, play, nap again without nursing. What's up with that?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: He's adding in nursings?

There are a lot of reasons that a baby might increase their nursing, but my first thought even before reading your post was TEETHING. And reading your post makes me think that's the likely reason. Babies who are teething need comfort, and breastmilk actually has ingredients that are known to relax babies and relieve pain. The sucking motion can be soothing as well. In addition to nursing as needed, you may want to try motrin and a cold teething toy.

You could also start offering a small lunch, I don't see any harm in that. But if the nursing is ramping up because of teething as I would suspect, more solids probably won't change much.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with PP, but at that age we were suddenly nursing almost every hour. LO was hungry, and I couldn't eat enough to keep up with him anymore. Do you feel that way? I mean, I was hungrier than I was post birth, and that was as hungry as I'd ever been. I would definitely feed on cue in your case, but you might offer some additional snacks as well and see if that helps. I say this especially bc you say he is big , as is my LO.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Frankly, nursing 6 or 7 times a day (or more) sounds more like a normal nursing pattern for a 7 month old who is presumably still getting the majority of his nutrition from breastmilk. So it's possible he is indeed just hungry, and going for the good stuff.

Thank you! He'll eat if I give him food; he'll nurse if I offer. I'm not opposed to offering and letting him nurse a lot, but it was sort of confusing as to why he was doing this all of a sudden.

He has also begun only going to sleep if I nurse him. Before, it was beautiful - I could walk in the room with him, ask him if he was ready to go "night night," and he would just about jump into the crib. I don't know when the transition happened...Of course, it's STILL beautiful that I'm here to help him, but you get what I'm saying.

I know the time is fleeting - I'm enjoying every bit of snuggling I get (which is very little since he's on the go, crawling and trying to walk). My DH and I joke all the time about the 5 minutes of snuggling I get while he nurses. I will take what I can when I can!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com