Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on?!

Exclamation What's going on?!

Last night L took his usual 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM (approximately) nap. He wanted to eat at about 10:30 PM and I thought he drained my right breast. He kept acting SUPER fussy and whiney. I kept offering both sides and he would hop from one to the other. Finally, about 1:00 AM, I got him to settled down enough to sleep, after constant rocking and offering both breasts. I kept trying to express milk during this time and I consistently kept coming up empty! He was so frantic I nearly sent my husband out to get formula!

He nursed at about 3:00 AM, after the thunder from the storm woke him up.

He was up at 7:00 AM, with his normal wet diaper, and was again super fussy, acting like I was empty again. He fell asleep from 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM and again woke up hungry. Then he played on the floor while I did somethings around the house and nursed again at noon. He just fell asleep in his swing while I was eating lunch. Before he fell asleep, he kinda was staring into space. Usually he talks to me and plays with his pacifier.

Is this a sign of teething? Is something wrong with my supply? I started the mini pill about a month ago and noticed a drop, but with lots of nursing and drinking Mother's Milk Tea, we were fine. We did start letting him play with some brown rice cereal on Friday, with the pedi's blessing. He's showing all signs of being solids ready, but I'm not forcing the issue. I just kinda let him play with it and a spoon, while sitting in his chair. He maybe has gotten a spoonful in his mouth the 3 days we've tried it.

Diaper output is normal and he's not showing any signs of constipation.

I apologize for the novel, but his whining has me freaked out a bit. He never whines constantly like that. It sounded like the whines and cries he makes when we put him down and leave the room for a second, the " I NEED YOU!" cries. Any ideas ladies?
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

Default Re: What's going on?!

Is it possible that he has an ear infection? That sounds like how my DS acts when he has one.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

How old is he?

I would second the idea of coming down with something, but the empyish breasts sound like growth spurt. In our house we prefer to teethe, reach new motor milestones, have growth spurts, and get colds all at once, so its hard for me to separate the symptoms. Have you tried motrin?
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

He turned 4 months on December 30th.

Didn't think about him possibly having an ear infection. I've taken his temp twice today and it's been normal. I haven't given him any meds. It's like a light switch. One minute, he's frantic and the next he's calm.

He had a huge growth spurt at about 3 1/2 months. Could he be having another one so soon? He's been eating his hands and drooling for about a month now. His pedi said she didn't feel or see any teeth at his 4 month appointment on January 2nd, so maybe something is finally happening?

He's been asleep for about 2 hours now. I'm wondering if the change of weather last night had some affect on him? The thunder was so loud that is was shaking the house!

I've been debating about having my husband come home from work so I can take him into the doctor. I'm just not real sure what they would do though.

I keep hovering over him while he's sleeping. I think I'll put a call into the doctor and see what they want me to do. Is it obvious yet that I'm a first time mom?
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

If it is a growth spurt, then I'd nurse him as often as he wants. He may be telling your body to make more milk, to meet his needs. I don't think you have a supply problem, but if he's growing, he'll just want to eat and eat. If its teething, time at the breast can be very soothing for him, that's what best. And, maybe Tylenol at night. Since the dose is based upon weight, a call into the dr. might be helpful. Just to make sure how much to give him.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Sounds similiar to when my DS was teething. He wanted to eat ALL the time. He would just randomly cry for no reason at all. And he was very clingy. If he is teething, they won't pop through right away, it's a lot of crying and being in pain before they come out. You may want to try a little pain relief or Hylands teething gel or tablets just to see how he does. My son did a total 180 when I did that, because I didn't think it was his teeth, but sure enough it was. You just have to do trial and error to figure it out. If he's not pulling at his ears I wouldn't think his ears are bothering him. It couldn't hurt to get him looked at. Don't worry too much, we've all been there as first time moms, even the ones who have more than one go through it
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Well, he woke up from his 2 hour nap at 3:00 PM. He had a bath and then nursed for about 40 minutes. He seems to be in a much better mood now!

The nurse I called said to just keep monitoring him and if he's still acting fussy, bring him in the morning and the doctor will check him out again.

He's laying on the bed with me, cooing and talking, and playing with a toy. I get paranoid so easily because we only have 1 car at the moment, so I can't just drop everything and take him in any where. Thanks for all the ideas ladies and helping me ease my mind. I'll probably have my husband pick up those teething tablets before he comes home.
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

Great insights from PPs. I just wanted to add that for us at least, four months was an absolutely miserable age. My baby has never been the best sleeper, but his sleep was HORRID at four months. He is generally very friendly, happy, and easy-going, but he cried and cried for no apparent reason much of the time at four months. Once he was about five months he stopped all the fussing and went back to his friendly, happy self. I think he just started waking up at four months and didn't quite know what to do with himself. That coupled with teething, made for one angry baby. Definitely check with your doctor if you have concerns, but if there is nothing medically wrong it may be just a phase that works itself out with age.

with pp. In the new The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition 2010) the authors call this the "four month fussies"

Except for the minipill which some moms do have supply issues with, there is no reason to think your supply would be an issue unless you have been cutting back on nursing sessions or supplementing. Continue to comfort baby at the breast if he will and in other ways if he won't, and relax.

Also some babies have teething pain and signs (like drooling) for weeks and weeks and weeks before any teeth erupt. Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    with pp. In the new The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition 2010) the authors call this the "four month fussies"

Except for the minipill which some moms do have supply issues with, there is no reason to think your supply would be an issue unless you have been cutting back on nursing sessions or supplementing. Continue to comfort baby at the breast if he will and in other ways if he won't, and relax.

Also some babies have teething pain and signs (like drooling) for weeks and weeks and weeks before any teeth erupt. Normal.
    I went back and re-read the chapter you mentioned. It sounds an awful lot like what we're going through now!

He was a live wire last night, constantly eating, but he did settle eventually. We'll just carry on and work our way through this, just like we worked our way through the growth spurts. I guess I'll be stuck on the couch during our marathon nursing sessions, watching Law and Order on Netflix. Darn... What ever shall I do!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and