Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know if its mold?

Default How do I know if its mold?

I just noticed something white in the tubing, is it mold or something else? How often do you change the tubing? Where do you buy more?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: How do I know if its mold?

What kind of pump do you have? You can usually get Medela parts at Target or BRU. Medela parts I usually had to order online. You can also soak the tubing in hot water or put rubbing alcohol through the tubes to clean it out. Just make sure to dry them completely or you will get mold. I've had mold grow in old tubing and its usually grey/black. It's probably milk. But I'd clean it anyways.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

I get this yellow mold growing in mine

Tubing has to be ordered online, or you might find it at BRU. You can also put Medela tubes in those sterilizing bags and then put rubbing alcohol in them to help evaporate out the water. Your tubes will change colors though.

White makes me think milk. Milk is ideal for mold to grow in.

This is hwy Medela, even though I use their products, makes me go I don't have this problem with any other pump I own.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I ordered new tubing over lunch, is it safe to use this tubing till next week? Like I said above, its white...not black..
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

It will be ok.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!