Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike?

Default Nursing Strike?

5 1/2 month old nurses almost exclusivley. She only gets 3-4 bottles per week when I work. Today she pretty much refused the breast. She didn't seem overly fussy or hungry for the majority of the day and wasnt crying when she pulled off until her 6 pm feed. At that point I offered her a bottle b/c she seemed too frustrated at the breast to eat. Assuming it wasnt lactating properly I tried to hand express and was able to get a pretty good flow. Perhaps she was irritated that my let down wasnt happening immediately?

Going to the doc tomorrow to check but could an ear infection make her be okay with a bottle and not breast?

also, when I tried to pump I wasnt producing but 1 oz. - when i pump away from her I pump 5-7 oz.

suggestions?

Default Re: Nursing Strike?

My 6 month old was doing the same thing. He got impatient b/c my letdown has slowed. We're over that hump now.
    He also has been teething like crazy (he happens to have 8 teeth - yikes).
    I have also heard that ear infection could make them have trouble because it hurts to suck.

Do you always pump during the day? Or at 6 pm? I can barely get anything out with a pump later in the day.

Maybe the doc will help. Good luck! Those moments when they choose to NOT nurse are very frustrating!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

definitely get the ears checked. that led to many of our nursing strikes.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I think its worth it to get ears checked, as nursing does require more 'work' (jaw action) than bottles so headache and earache could affect nursing more than bottle feeding.

It's a tad young for a 'traditional' nursing strike. But no matter that age or reason for the problem, the tricks for getting baby back to the breast are basically the same. Both kellymom.com and here on llli are good articles on encouraging baby back to the breast.

I wonder if this is nipple &/or, likely more accurately in this case, flow confusion. It can sometimes happen with even very occasional bottles.

This may be some helpful info for your baby's caregiver on 'paced bottle feeding' which may help help with flow confusion. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

*richmama-

no i usually only pump around 3 pm on tues/thursday when i work. I did pump around that time as well with similar results but she had been "nibbling" throughout the day so maybe she got more than I thought.

What I discovered was that I had fed baby enough through the day, so when I was ready to feed him for "dinner," he wouldn't take it. Scared me to death. That's why I was asking! What did the doctor tell you?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com