Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I stop pumping??

Question When can I stop pumping??

Hi mamas,

My LO is 11 months old today, and I am a full-time working mom. I currently leave 6 oz. of EBM with LO's babysitter (who, fyi, is his grandpa ) to last him throughout the day while I'm gone (we are separated ~8.5 hours). I also see DS during lunch every day to nurse. We co-sleep and LO nurses throughout the night. Oh, and he nurses great on the weekends. He is eating solids like a champ - he absolutely loves food - and he drinks a little water on and off all day.

My question is....... can I quit pumping after DS turns 1 year old, and just give him whole cow's milk while we are separated? Will he be ok without that 6 oz. of BM?

It's a ton of work getting those 6 oz...I pump every morning, once at work, frequently in the evenings, and throughout the weekend to come up with the 6 oz. per day. And I am just SO sick of pumping, especially at work. I actually wouldn't mind continuing to pump in the mornings, etc. if I could skip the work pumping session. (All I get at work is ~2.5 oz. anyway.) But honestly, I'd really love to put anyway the pump for good as soon as possible while still being able to nurse while we're together (mornings, evenings, nights, lunch, and weekends).

I guess I know that I CAN stop pumping at work, but SHOULD I? I have worked SO hard to make it this far (had a lot of problems with supply at the beginning), and I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize our nursing relationship!

Thanks for the advice, mamas!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: When can I stop pumping??

I know my sister stopped at 1 year and continued to breast feed after that. I haven't gotten there yet, but I anticipate stopping at one year as well. She give her son whole cows milk after one year. I feel ya on wanting to be done with pumping. I am not even 8 months into it and ready to be DONE!

Does your baby nurse a lot when you're together? At night? I ask because I hear some concern in your post that pump weaning could endanger your supply. I'd say, if you're nursing a lot, then probably not and you can just go for it! But if you're not nursing that much, then I would back off very slowly, and watch your supply carefully. You can do that anyway. Most of us do.

P.S. Technically if your baby is still nursing 4X per day, you don't NEED to introduce cow's milk. I chose to anyway, but if your child is sensitive to milk for any reason, just know you don't have to.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Cow's milk is up to you like pp said. I pump weaned when my DD was 14 months old. Like you, I went to see her everyday at lunch. I would probably see if she can do without the bottle and go from there. It's only 4 hours they are going without and 4 hours you are going without pumping. Not that long. I brought my pump with me JIC, but didn't end up needing it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My DS is only 9 months old, but I have been thinking ahead too (because I am so ready to be done pumping). I also had supply issues at the beginning though, so I'm petrified of not pumping at work and then not having enough supply to continue BFing. I think I'm going to take it slow and just see how my body reacts.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

My baby is 10 month old i pump once at work and i am so ready to stop pumping. She still gets up two to three time at night to eat. So i just want to give her cows milk just while i am at work for 5 hour. but still nurse some an start weaning slowly. But i was wonder if she stop nursing in the day will i have milk for her at night.

I am in the same boat as you, my DS will be 11 mos on the 13th of December. I have officially weaned off the pump as of Friday. I took it slowly, day by decreasing the time I spent pumping and finally phased it out. I have a very high production so consequently I have to stop nursing during the day in order to not pump at work. However, I do not give cows milk, I give coconut milk either with or without vanilla and he does very well with it. We still nurse in the morning and at night. My husband isn't too thrilled about the idea because he thinks my milk production will shut down, but I assured him it won't... I know my body and I make more than enough. You have to to pace yourself and watch how you feel and do it gradually.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Hey, btw, I remember how you were having a hard time exclusively breastfeeding. Sounds like now he's doing really well!

I EP and my son started naturally taking less at a year. So I think dropping pumping at a year or soon after would be possible. It just doesn't seem possible now because I bet he can't get enough milk right now!

I stopped pumping for Lilah when she was a little over a year and she nursed on demand at home on the weekends and at night with no supply problems. I would be a little full on Mondays, but it was manageable and she didn't really take off on solids until 18 monthsish when she was at home with me.

I'll stop pumping for Trixie, who is almost 11 months right now, after she turns one... and I won't day wean then either. I will nurse on demand all day on the weekends and continue to do so all night long.

I did introduce cows milk with Lilah and will with Trixie in a week or so, although I will not put it into bottles. It will be open cups only.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I stopped pumping for Lilah when she was a little over a year and she nursed on demand at home on the weekends and at night with no supply problems. I would be a little full on Mondays, but it was manageable and she didn't really take off on solids until 18 monthsish when she was at home with me.

I'll stop pumping for Trixie, who is almost 11 months right now, after she turns one... and I won't day wean then either. I will nurse on demand all day on the weekends and continue to do so all night long.

I did introduce cows milk with Lilah and will with Trixie in a week or so, although I will not put it into bottles. It will be open cups only.
    This is pretty much exactly what i did in terms of pumping and introducing cows milk. I think i pumped til about 15 months because i was worried about supply, but one day i was just done. And all the ladies on here were right - somehow your body knows when you're around baby and need to make milk. I never had over supply - and like you had to work pretty hard to get nine ounces a day (i didn't nurse at lunch most ofthe time). My LO was still nursing six or so times a day til about 18 months, so i didn't worry about getting cows milk into him. I did introduce it, but didn't have him drinking it regularly until he started nursing less, about two months ago (he'll be two in a couple of weeks)

Way to go for making it this far!! I remember having really mixed emotions about pump weaning too -- like somehow it signified an end, or the beginning of the end, of our nursing relationship. I can assure you that hasn't been the case
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it