Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possibly strange question

Default Possibly strange question

OK, I know it's a strange question, but I'm intrigued.

Several times now I've noticed a funky, rancid smell on the sleeves of my t-shirts. At first I thought it was spit-up from my baby, but she hasn't spat up in a while so I know it's not the case. Then I realized the smell comes from a spot that usually gets wet from my leaky milk. (Let's say I'm nursing her on one breast, I have my arm close to the other breast, which leaks during let-down. The leak goes through my shirt and onto my sleeve.)

So I've determined the smell is from leaked milk that dried up on the sleeve a few hours prior.

Why does it stink like this!?! Is my milk stinky?!?!??????????????

PS. I'm not talking a huge amount of leakage. Also, it's a clean shirt fresh from the drawer the same day.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Possibly strange question

Sour milk smells gross. Don't worry, I'm sure it's plenty sweet and lovely coming out, but small leaks can turn sour and icky fast.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I've noticed my milk turns sour really quickly when it is on a damp rag, shirt, etc... It is fine when I pump.

This is kinda gross, but..... Both my kids also tend to get very hot while nursing and their littles heads sweat a ton. Sometimes the dried sweat will have a very weird funky smell on pillows, my sleeves, etc.... Are you sure it is your milk that smells?

Do you pump? Have you noticed a strange odor to your pumped milk? It almost sounds like it could be a high lipase issue. My milk smelled really terrible, sour, even a short time after it left my body.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I was also thinking lipase.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

if it smells like curdled milk, i think its totally normal! It happens to me, too. And when my son spits milk on himself (not spit up, just straight out of his mouth) his neck smells later on. I haven't had any issues with lipase and I pump and freeze.

I only pumped a few times, and that was a while ago; I never froze. I did notice that the milk smelled a bit soapy after a couple of days in the fridge. Is this lipase?

I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference in my case since I never pump? I just wanted to make sure that my milk is not funky when it comes out of me! My LO does love it, so I guess it can't be that bad... but I was so surprised when I realized what it was. Sour mom milk, huh!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one