Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much and when to express?

Default How much and when to express?

Hi,
    I'm about to start expressing again in time for Xmas.
    We're on two feeds a day as my boo is 11months old. I've hand expressed before and usually had to express 15 mls a day over a week or two to get a feed due to having fibromyalgia (it can be quite tiring).
    But I've now managed to loan an electric pump and wondered what was the best and quickest way to get a full fee (I've now idea how much she now drinks!), without giving myself too much of a full breast during the day/excess milk production type issue. I've had a few problems in the past with sreness and full ducts etc and so was thinking expressing massively over 2 days to get a feed could be the worst thing, but I also don't want to be expressing for ever. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Default Re: How much and when to express?

Hi, this might be best in the pumping forum area. Is your pump a double electric pump? Those are the quickest and most efficient. I used my double electric pump to express at work every 2h for a little under 10mins each time, because that schedule fit with my teaching/break schedule and my DD was 9mos at the time. I gave bottles to the crèche in 2oz portions to prevent the milk from being wasted. Worked great. It really depends how much time you will be seperated from your LO to know how much you will need to provide.

Take a look at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html HTH!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Default Re: How much and when to express?

Thanks for that. I just don't want to get engorged or anything. I'll take a look at the link.

Sorry I posted in the wrong area. Is there a way the mods/admin could move the thread at all?