Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast anamoly...?

Default breast anamoly...?

I've been nursing for 6 weeks now. My breasts have been the same size pretty much since he was born. But within the last week I've noticed light pinkish / purplish lines looking like wide vessels branching out from my nipples. They look almost like stretch marks but they're not indented or shiny like stretch marks normally are. (I have them elsewhere). This isn't some strange sign of mastitis or infection is it? I can't find anything about this online. They don't look like normal blood vessels or spider veins. They're thick and dull. I'm stumped. Just want to make sure everything is ok and normal.

Default Re: breast anamoly...?

Pink or red streaks on the breast can be a sign of mastitis, but in the absence of other symptoms I don't know that I'd take it as such. So, any fever, chills, achiness, breast tenderness, swelling, or lumps?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you serious? I have had those for a while and have noticed new ones lately. I thought they were stretch marks. I didn't get any strectch marks when I was pregnant and don't have them any where else. Should I be going to the doctor to have them checked out???

If they aren't troubling you, then you're probably right that they are stretch marks or something else similarly benign.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No hon, when you have mastitis you get red angry looking streaks that are hot. It's usually just one breast and you will have significant pain from a plugged duct. You will feel like you have the flu- fever, chills, sweats, etc. It's horrible.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein