Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Boops!

Default Boops!

This is our family name for expulsions of gas. My little grandson is doing it a lot. He also acts like his tummy hurts (not extremely, like in colic, but fussing most of the day, pulling up his legs). We've tried gas drops several times a day.

He also spits up a lot. I should mention he is 2 months old now, was one month premature. He weighed 5 lbs 15 oz at birth and is over 9 pounds now. He feeds well. The pediatrician felt the spitting could be acid reflux and prescribed rantidine, twice a day, 7 ml. So far, after 5 days of dosing, we're not seeing any improvement.

Anyone have any suggestions for a baby who seems to have belly problems mainly during the day? He sleeps about 10 hours a night, with every 2-3 hour wakes for feeding. During the day, he only catnaps, due to the belly problem, I think. And he fusses virtually nonstop, except for the catnaps or when he's nursing.

Default Re: Boops!

Baby-wearing? If he's in a sling, held upright next to mom's warm body and the calming sound of her heartbeat, he may be a bit calmer and a bit more likely to take a decent nap. Also, being held and being upright may help him work out his boops in a gentle way. When mom's body moves, his little body is going to be moved. It's like very gentle baby massage.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Baby-wearing? If he's in a sling, held upright next to mom's warm body and the calming sound of her heartbeat, he may be a bit calmer and a bit more likely to take a decent nap. Also, being held and being upright may help him work out his boops in a gentle way. When mom's body moves, his little body is going to be moved. It's like very gentle baby massage.

It sounds like normal fussiness. Babies are fussy. They want to be held and be close to us. They were carried snuggly for 10 months, and now they are in a cold place where people expect them to not fuss. Yet we as parents and caregivers need to get things done and accomplish tasks while trying to soothe a fussy baby.

Babywearing is the best solution for all!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My LO would not take a good nap for a long time unless I was wearing her in a Moby wrap. She was also "fussy" until 13-14 weeks or so. We were also convinced she had painful gas, so we tried dr remedies (mylicon and gripe water, bicycling legs, rubbing tummy, etc.) and really nothing worked except baby-wearing. She didn't even like to be held; she wanted to be in the wrap and walked around. When she got like that, I'd wrap her in the Moby and walk around the apartment, picking up little things that were out of place, putting things away in the kitchen, or doing the dishes (that way I could still feel productive). It put her to sleep EVERY time.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I have had four kids with bad acid reflux. Things that helped:

Being held and sleeping upright, usually in a sling
    Medication: one of mine was bad enough we gave several medications
    Cutting dairy in my diet, which helped with spitting too

But some babies are easily overwhelmed by life. This is when the sling is handy. Tuck baby in and walk around, and baby goes to sleep.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think giving the 'explosions' a cute name is as good a solution as any for gassy babies. . Unless mom has reason to suspect forceful letdown or a food sensitivity, this is probably normal and baby will outgrow it. Until, that is, he finds joy in them, and tries to make them happen, and aims them at people....but I digress.
    And yes, slings and generally holding baby more or less upright as much as possible & especially after nursing is often helpful for gas and spit ups. I found that much more helpful than meds for my spitty uppy babies. If the spitups and burps are not painful, they are not usually considered GERD & don’t require medication. GERD is way overdiagnosed & overmedicated imo.

Boops! That's so adorable!

I cut dairy out of my diet and that helped somewhat. And yes, babywearing! Very, very helpful.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.