Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: problems with our 4 day old....

Default Re: problems with our 4 day old....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ajnkat View Post
    Okay...I've seen that. they will do that also when they wake from a nap too?
    Newborns do it All.Of.The.Time. They need to be fed very frequently. That's why it's important to get him latched. It's easier to nurse than to pump. Pumping, well, it sucks.

Here you go: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...nger-cues.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I was thinking about you today and wondering how things went.

Yes, a newborn arms can flail around and startle them. Has anybody mentioned The Happiest Baby on the Block to you? Harvey Karp. He has videos that are great. The book is great too, though I think it's a bit more reading than you may be up for right now. I would swaddle him asap. It sounds like he may benefit from it. Newborns do! Basically they have been living in a place that's super noisy and really cramped for the last 10 months. Dr. Karp teaches people how to "recreate" the womb. His technique were a major lifesaver for me!!! In fact, my daughter still sleeps with the sound machine! http://youtu.be/ddRkI5wVIqQ

If the nipple is being compressed it will hurt. It's painful to nurse on a compressed nipple. When your wife gets the baby to latch, and the baby pulls off is the nipple round like a new pencil eraser or pointy like a new lipstick? The lipstick look is a tell-tale sign of compression, but I had that for sometime without pain. If it doesn't hurt to nurse, I wouldn't worry that the latch doesn't look text book perfect. Everybody varies, but pain is the thing you worry about.

Poop changing color is a good sign. I think that Meg has a great idea with the laid back style. That's one of the ways I finally got my daughter to latch.

I know it's really hard and frustrating. Just keep trying to get him to latch. You are in a critical period right now. I would try to call an IBCLC right away. Is the LC at the group tomorrow an IBCLC? That's how you know they are well trained.
    I shot a 1 min video last night of whats going on. She was laying back with him on her chest. He started to move around and she moved him toward the nipple. He tried to latch, but then just started to scream. i just need to make a different you tube account.

ill ask if the lc is a ibclc.

calming him is really no issue. either needs changed or fed...once thats done he's a happy baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Newborns do it All.Of.The.Time. They need to be fed very frequently. That's why it's important to get him latched. It's easier to nurse than to pump. Pumping, well, it sucks.

Here you go: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...nger-cues.html

he seems to have a very short transition time between the levels. we caught it at the lip smacking when laying down.....still a scream fest.
    1st Time mom to a health baby boy
    Trying to learn how to and keep it up with
    Hubby has my back

Hm, just to throw this out there, has he been evaluated for tongue-tie? Sometimes there can be something physical going on in the mouth that makes latching/suckling difficult or painful. Other possibilities would be seeking out a chiropractor or craniosacral therapist to make sure everything is aligned well within his mouth, skull and spine.

I'm so sorry you guys are having such a challenging introduction to your new family life.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Hm, just to throw this out there, has he been evaluated for tongue-tie? Sometimes there can be something physical going on in the mouth that makes latching/suckling difficult or painful. Other possibilities would be seeking out a chiropractor or craniosacral therapist to make sure everything is aligned well within his mouth, skull and spine.

I'm so sorry you guys are having such a challenging introduction to your new family life.
    he has not. today will be his 1st day going back to the hospital. he doesn't have a problem drinking the mothers milk from a cup or a nipple on a bottle. I'll work on those video's in a little bit. just finished feeding him and its rest time.... seems like most of my posting is @ feeding times
    Hubby has my back

Well, while waiting, keep using a CUP, not a bottle. I struggled with nipple preference and my oldest child for EIGHT WEEKS after just one bottle was given to him; I was transferred to the hospital for emergency surgery postpartum. He developed signs of low blood glucose while I was in surgery and the midwife gave him a bottle of formula. It had to be done, but it set us up for a lot of struggles with breastfeeding for some months. That quickly, he learned that there was an easier way to get milk than by breastfeeding. Things were complicated by the oversupply I naturally have and the bad advice I was given to keep pumping.

And do not give up hope. Just about all babies will start nursing at the breast by the time they are 8 weeks of age IF you keep trying consistently with them. Give up, and you will be EPing. And EPing is about a thousand times harder than breastfeeding is in the long term. So just keep trying.

There are some babies who are unable to nurse from their mother until their mouths are a bit bigger. They grow like crazy at this age, so if that is the case, it won't be long.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

A friend's son also had an upper lip tie, in addition to a slight tongue tie. They aren't common, so typically, they aren't evaluated for it. Be sure that it's someone who is familiar with evaluating tongue and lip ties. They're often missed or misdiagnosed.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

well we just went in for our 1st check up. Looks like he has lost about 3oz...I think that's what she was trying to tell me. 7.12 @ discharge and 7.95 now. I feel ****ty. I need to find a book or something. She was asking how much we were giving. Honestly, I measure out about 2oz and he takes what he wants. I guess I need to monitor it more closely.

Wife is now in with the LC. I came home. I was not allowed in the room. There were other women in there so I get that. When I cup feed him, he seems to drink it too fast. Last night my wife said something about a medicine dropper and there was something else. I'm going to look into those. I had to give him a bottle last night and today. we were in the car and he needed to eat. This is taxing. I'm not/can't give up 'cause I'm here pillar in all of this. I just wish I was a bit more prepared. We took the classes that were offered to us but I do not recall anything about feeding. I might have missed it in some of the paper work they gave us. I'll have to go re read it all.
    If I had hair long enough, I'd pull it out.....

I'll ask the LC about a tongue and lip tie. actually I'll text the wife to ask the LC.

One thing I read last night was about inverted nipples. Her nipples poke out, but they seam to dip in in the middle.
    also read about stool softeners. They asked her to take some to help ease the BM's. I think I read that it can affect the milk or something.

Soooo many questions.....

oh well..off to do laundry while I have some time. I'll post up what the LC says when we get back. We have to go to get her some warm boots that fit over her swollen feet.
    Hubby has my back

They ALL lose weight, and if your wife had any IV fluids, they can make baby seem heavier than baby really is. Some very new research suggests using the baby's weight 24 hours post-birth as a starting point because of all the interventions most moderns births have. So things might not be as bad as you think....and some weight loss is normal.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

interesting.
    Hubby has my back

3oz doesn't sound bad at all. You may want to read this: http://www.lactationconsultant.info/neowtloss.html
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and