Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night weaning question

Default night weaning question

Hello,
    I would like to start night weaning my son who is 14 months old. I know some people dont agree with night weaning at this age but my husband and I would like to try for another baby and this is the best thing for us.

We are not cosleeping and I am trying the Jay Gordon method.

Just a question....my son cries for a minute or two when I tell him no "milkies" until morning, which isn't bad in my opinion. The problem is he wont fall back asleep! I rock him, hold him etc and he squirms around. When I put him in his crib he cries so I pick him back up again. Last night he woke up at 1030 and was up until 1, woke up at 330 and was up until 5 when I nursed him.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Default Re: night weaning question

When you night-wean a toddler, you're asking that kid to discover a whole new way of sleeping. Ever since birth he relied on nursing to help him transition from wakefulness to sleep, so it's going to take him a while to figure out how to get back to sleep without nursing. So you have to be patient, really patient! It's one reason why a lot of us continue to night-nurse our older toddlers- it's so much easier than trying to deal with a 3 hour wake-up in the middle of the night. You're probably already doing this, but keeping it very quiet, very dark, and very calm will help, too. No talking, no turning on lights, no playtime. The more boring it is, the more likely your LO will get drowsy.

ETA: I don't think anyone here is going to criticize you for night-weaning at 14 months old. You've definitely done your due diligence and if you're ready for a good night's sleep or another baby, you should feel free to pursue that!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much! I am exhausted so the encouragement definitely helps...I will try to be patient!

I am getting ready to start fully night weaning. I wouldn't do it if DS really nursed at night, but instead he lazily latches on and scrapes his teeth until he drifts off, which is uncomfortable and sometimes painful for me.

I am toying with the idea of introducing a "lovey" to help him ease to sleep. Right now I am working with a small quilt, draping it over him while we nurse and putting it over his legs while he naps. He isn't really into it yet; maybe a small stuffed animal would be better? Anyone have an advice/opinions on introducing a lovey? Especially this late?
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.