Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I did it!!

Default I did it!!

Well I made it a WHOLE year exclusively pumping since LO was 3 months old. She just decided she was done, and I was on and off these forums looking for advice to get her back to the breast but we just never succeeded in doing so. I was determined to continue with breast milk only though. I developed quite the relationship with my pump. That thing barely left my side and it went everywhere I went.

Here is my confession... I did cave and give her formula a few times. I never BOUGHT formula, it was just the four small 1 or 2 oz. bottles the hospital sent home. I felt guilty as can be, but I want to let other BF mommas out there that it really wasn't as awful as I imagined it would be giving her formula. My life has been an emotional rollercoaster this last year and I have had my fair share of rough times. When I was particularly stressed out for a week period, I did run out of stored milk and since LO wouldn't breastfeed I couldn't keep up with just pumping hence the reason for giving her those 4 samples. However, we made a strong rebound from that and I was able to continue EP for the rest of the time.

So tomorrow LO turns 1, and my plan was to BF for the first year. So now where do I go next? Her doctor's appointment is wednesday, so I will talk to the pedi about weaning off of BM. I do NOT want to give LO cow's milk, so I'll be seeing about using soy or coconut or whatever else is best. Any suggestions from anyone here?

Also, I am down to pumping 3-4 times a day, sometimes only twice, and I have a freezer full of milk. Do I just stop pumping gradually and use the stored milk instead? Should I still maybe continue to pump only once a day just so she can still have some of my milk for breakfast or something? As much as I am over pumping, I think I could handle doing it once a day. Would that be futile though? I have a decent milk supply going, but have never really felt "engorged" in these last few months, so I think weaning off the pump will be easy for me.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement along the way!

Default Re: I did it!!

It would not be futile. It would be extremely beneficial for her to continue to receive your milk. As toddlers become more mobile and social, it is important that they can receive your milk for the immunities it provides. If you are ok wih pumping once a day, I say go for it.

Also, for EPing until your LO was a year old!!! Pumpin ain't easy!
    Last edited by @llli*juno; December 12th, 2011 at 09:01 PM.

don't have any advice on pump weaning but i just want to say CONGRATS AND GREAT JOB!!!!! i think pumping is the worst, i'm doing it right now as i type this and i can't wait to be done. what a fantastic mama!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Congratulations on making it a year and KUDOS for your dedication. Your child will benefit from your breastmilk for as long as you continue to provide it. And if you are giving her an certain amount a day you don't actually need to replace it with any kind of milk. It's 3-5 times a day at the breast. So that is probably 6-10oz a day. If you have that much to give her I wouldn't stress too much about Replacement milk.

Way too lazy for formula

My kids get sick a lot when they wean. Keep going as long as you can, but I get being done with pumping.

To pump wean, pump for a few minutes less at each session. Don't completely empty at every session.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Great work! That takes a lot of dedication and time and so much effort, I know. You might find doing just a few sessions a day manageable and want to keep it up longer. I found once I was down to 3-4 sessions it wasn't nearly as restrictive (didn't have to look at my watch and coordinate little errands, etc.) and I would maybe encourage you to try to keep it up at least through cold and flu season if you're up for it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk1718 View Post
    don't have any advice on pump weaning but i just want to say CONGRATS AND GREAT JOB!!!!! i think pumping is the worst, i'm doing it right now as i type this and i can't wait to be done. what a fantastic mama!
    Keep it up, it will be over before you know it! Thanks for the kind words .

Thank you ALL for the encouragement and congratulations. I'm proud of myself for making it this far, there were times when I wasn't sure I could do it. Since some of you have suggested it, I think I'll continue to pump, but just a little. Maybe twice a day? I'm thinking morning and evening, that way she can have some before bed and then in the AM. Still need to incorporate my stored milk somehow. The cold and flu season is something I never thought of.... would be good to keep up the breastmilk through that so she doesn't get sick. Ok... so can't burn the pump quite yet!! HAHA! Thanks again everyone.