Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Minimal Pumping Output on One Side

Default Minimal Pumping Output on One Side

Hello,

I've been noticing that when I pump, I get plenty of milk from the left side but hardly any (< 1 oz) from the right. I don't have any indication from DS that supply is significantly less on that side, though I did have mastitis on that side a couple of weeks postpartum.

I will be returning to work in January, when DS is almost four months, and pumping at work. I'm worried that the lack of pump response on that side will affect my supply. My lactation consultant recommended that I pump an extra five minutes on just that side. I've also read about breast compressions and will be trying that as well.

Does anyone have additional advice or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Karin

Default Re: Minimal Pumping Output on One Side

It's totally normal, in fact pretty much every pumping mom I know has an under achiever! For me it's my right side, I get like 1/4 oz and the left gives me 3-4 oz. Dramatic diffence! You can do compressions and just keep pumping.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    It's totally normal, in fact pretty much every pumping mom I know has an under achiever! For me it's my right side, I get like 1/4 oz and the left gives me 3-4 oz. Dramatic diffence! You can do compressions and just keep pumping.
    Seriously? I had no idea it was that common! How strange! Good thing the other side is an overachiever to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Does it make sense to nurse him more on the underachiever side when we're together, or doesn't it matter?