Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need a "refresher" course, please.

Red face I need a "refresher" course, please.

With DD1, I had OALD/OS and she had reflux and would spit up a lot.
    DD2 is almost 5wks and I'm having OALD, again Just like DD1, DD2 is a guzzler and big spitter upper and has (we think) reflux.
    She's been fussy, will arch her back, and has avocado green poops (which started around the time I really started feeling my letdowns). She hardly burps, if I try it just causes her to spit up.
    I cannot put her down for more than 5min without her wanting to be held. If I wear her in the sling she is all good, not a peep out of her The good thing is that from about 1a-8a she'll give me two 3-4hr stretches of sleep...unless the milk coming up wakes her up!
    -I've already tried changing my diet and still no change in her poops. Plus, even when my diet was unchanged she WAS having mustard yellow poops. The green poops started about 3wks ago.
    -Her bassinet is at an incline & I feed her at a slight incline and let her just chill there until she wakes up.
    -I blockfeed because of my OS, but maybe I'm doing too much or not enough
    -I do catch my letdowns into a towel.
    -I know she's getting enough milk because her wet/dirty diapers are plenty.
    -We've given her the Mylicon drops=no change, and Colic Calm=helps a little, we think.

So what I'm wondering is, the fussiness, the spit up, the arching of the back, the green poops are pointing towards milk imbalance, right? Or reflux?

I swore I wouldn't forget this important stuff after DD1
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: I need a "refresher" course, please.

I'm not sure. Have you ever read Dr Sears' Fussy Baby Book? It helped me a lot with my little girl especially the first 9 mos were just fussy. And she was pretty happy when she was in the Moby but otherwise pretty unhappy. And diet changes did nothing for her, and I had low to borderline supply, definitely not OS or OALD. Even now as a 2 yr old almost everything is "too loud" and "don't say that!" and it is so easy to upset her, just super super sensitive child (and way too many good qualities to list, I'm not complaining, she is a wonderful little sweet heart). Anyway all I am trying to say is that maybe it is too much foremilk but a lot of the fussiness and spit up even I think just goes with having a sensitive baby.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Sounds JUST like Joey. And she had horrid reflux. I'd get in to see the pedi. A little prevacid goes a long way.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

How much are you blockfeeding? How long? I might lengthen your blocks a bit (take it slow) just to see if that improves things at all.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    How much are you blockfeeding? How long? I might lengthen your blocks a bit (take it slow) just to see if that improves things at all.
    I was wondering the same thing.

If your DD is having plenty of wet diapers, I suspect you are still dealing with OS/OALD. The green poops, fussiness and that you have to catch your let downs into a towel all suggest this. With DS I dealt with OS/OALD for almost 4 months. With DD, it took about 2 months to get it under control, but I started with really long blocks (4-6hrs) almost the same day my milk came in.

We wanted to give the Colic Calm a try before resorting to Prevacid but I think it's time DH went to buy some but couldn't find the dissolvable OTC ones, so I guess we'll need to call her pedi and hope that she'll call it in without having to see DD.

As far as the blockfeeding, I'm feeding her about 3 times on one side (pretty much until it's empty which usually feels like it until the 3 or 4th time) even if she just wants to suckle, before switching. I also kind of just play it by ear depending on how full I feel.

And regarding the fussiness, as long as she's ON me somehow she's pretty much content. Which isn't new since DD1 was pretty "needy" too Especially at night, right before bedtime, she'll get fussy then sleep her long stretches, which we remember going through with DD1 only she would NEVER sleep more than 1.5hrs. But during the day, she'll only fuss when I'm not holding her which makes things really hard when you have a toddler that needs attention too
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

That fussiness sounds pretty normal for a newborn, although the reflux might be a factor as well. Newborns like to be ON their mamas. It's hard, but if baby is happy while being held, I would think it was normal (i.e., not caused by pain or discomfort).

That's a good solid block for blockfeeding, but if poops are explosive and green, I would probably try lengthening it just for kicks to see if that improves things at all. If it doesn't, you go back to offering the other side sooner.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.